Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

14 Gallon Biocube, Skimmer or Not?

Theproguy247

Theproguy247

Hello all first post here, basically I have a 14gallon biocube and I was wondering if I really need a protine skimmer in it. Also if recommending I do need one, what kind of skimmer would you recommend be put on it. Please not that I so keep up with a weekly water change!

Thanks! :D

doppelganger

depends what coral and how stocked. SPS, yes probably. Softies, no need. I would still lean toward no, that you probably don't need one unless ur going hard core sps

Probably want something like tunze 9002 if u go that route. But I don't know, I've kind of outdated on equipment nowadays.

Theproguy247

Well I got 1 TINY blue tang, 1 court jester goby, 1 pistol shrimp, 4 snails. For coral, I got 3 different types of zoa's, 1 plate coral, 1 birdsnest and 1 stylophora. All appear to be doing great, I just want to be sure I'm doing all I can to allow them to thrive.

doppelganger

eh... probably shouldn't of mentioned the tang but anyways...

errr it's hard to say whether you or not you need one. You technically don't need a skimmer if you're doing your water changes. The best advice I can give you is monitor your parameters. If it gets to dirty or ur sps aren't doing well, get a skimmer if u want. Otherwise I would just wait and see how things do.

Theproguy247

Wasn't joking, honestly he is only in there temporarily to rid of a calerpa problem, he is soon being moved to a 90 gallon!

Wasn't joking, honestly he is only in there temporarily to rid of a calerpa problem, he is soon being moved to a 90 gallon!

That's what they all say!!

• 2 weeks later...

I personally feel that these small "skimmers" are a waste of money for these small tanks. I agree with everyone else..save your money and just do the water changes. I have tried the oceanic biocube skimmer and compared to my sump skimmer on my 150 gal reef tank...its a joke. I spent so much time adjusting that thing. Im a huge fan of 1) live rock 2) chem pure and floss 3) frequent water changes for these nano size aquariums.

I've been weighing out if I want a skimmer or not....

May I piggy-back here?

12g nanocube and I have some SPS and softies and only one small clown.... I have lots of rock and not much sand, actually it's crushed coral. I've been thinking of getting the AquaMaxx HOB 1 and the intank filter rack to hold chaeto and chemipure.

Skimmers help remove fish poop and biodegrading fish food that wasn't eaten?

Can I get away with chaeto, chemipure and a skimmer? or do I still need filter floss?

Can I get away with chaeto, chemipure and a skimmer? or do I still need filter floss?

I'd still use filter floss even with a skimmer. It's there to get the biggest particles out of the water, is easy and cheap. I don't have a skimmer on my BC14, just the intank media rack with filter floss and chemipure. I'm going to get some chaeto, just haven't yet since I have some macro algae in the display area.

Yea my nano is a 12gal and I opted out on the skimmer idea I run an ac 50 with cheato and an ac20 next to in with my filter floss and som carbon I do a 3 gal watEr chane religiously once a week it takes me 10 min it's so simple I've had nothing but good luck so far my tank mostly sps and I'd get the tang out you'll be better off I thought I was pushing it with a sadleback clown you took it to a whole other level lol

Archived