inTank Media Baskets

jgpico

Went to my local Petco for dog food and walked away with a $25 gold maxima. Let me know what you think.

388f3760.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pic. It's the best I could do.

jedimasterben
Went to my local Petco for dog food and walked away with a $25 gold maxima. Let me know what you think.

388f3760.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pic. It's the best I could do.

$25? wow. Sign me up, my Petco's price on clams is around $60 for ugly croceas.

I think you should quarantine that thing. Other than that nice find.

I took proper precautions before I stuck it in my tank. It wasn't at the Petco long before I saw it and bought it and the frag tank at this particular Petco isn't bad at all. The guy who runs it comes in to my lfs from time to time to buy from me so I'm not too worried at all.

Yeah lol ts the first time I didn't have to beg my fiancé to let me buy something for the tank lol.

totalimmortal363

I seriously almost bought the other one today, sooooo close.

What kind of things would I need to do after i get it home? I understand the acclimation process, about 30-45 minutes of dripping.

When you said you took proper precautions, what did you do?

What kind of things would I need to do after i get it home? I understand the acclimation process, about 30-45 minutes of dripping.

When you said you took proper precautions, what did you do?

Like inspecting it for things like pinched mantle and especially for any pyramid snails, this is best done after the lights are off.

Exactly what basser said. Definitely check for pyramid snails because if you miss one snail you will soon have 100's. The clam I got is looking great. Mantle is beautiful and I have checke it every night for any pests. My hermits did a good job at cleaning its shell.

Think I'm gonna pick the other one up tonight then, I think I'm ready!

How did the other one look? I didn't get to see that one open at all. I got the one I did because it was wide open and looked good. Just take a good look before you get it.

$25 is still expensive, that couldn't even feed one person.

Cool stuff still. I would have swiped it, but I've got a bead on something I've been looking for :ninja:.

totalimmortal363
How did the other one look? I didn't get to see that one open at all. I got the one I did because it was wide open and looked good. Just take a good look before you get it.

It was wide open when I looked at it the other other day, very gold color. I'll have whoever's working let me have a peek at it real good before I swipe the card.

Thats a good idea. They also have the 30 day guarantee thing so If it does end up going downhill within the first month you take it back and get a refund. So far I have been very confident that my clam is going to do aweseome.

Your Petco has clams ? mine has nothing more than a couple of unhealthy chromis

My petco carries clams but did not see any at $25 and they have a decent frag tank. The up keep on it seems to be not as great since the guy who kind of knows about s/w doesn't work there as often. Their frag prices are not really that great but sometimes you can get a good deal like I got a rock full of mushroom for $30 that has over 20+ heads.

Their guarantee doesn't cover saltwater fish.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
surgicalsense

Bargain-bin :lol: .... I have heard that before, my bf said there used to be a thrift store in Mass called that.

Nice Maxima :happy:

Here is a better picture of the bargain bin clam. this is very close to true color.

2012-04-23_11-17-12_494.jpg

nice clam. Do have have something under the sand for it to attach? When theyre small like that they like to attach to things.

nice clam. Do have have something under the sand for it to attach? When theyre small like that they like to attach to things.

I actually put a couple frag plugs with the stems cut off under the sand for it to attach to and it move away from the plugs. The layer of sand where it moved to isnt deep at all and it actually attached to the bottom of my tank just like my bigger maxima did as well.

Hey how is the clam doing, been about 2 weeks since you got it right? pics?

It's actually doing very well. very responsive to shadows and looks happy in the spot where it chose. Its an amazing color when you look at it from the top down, like an orange/ rusty color. I'll see if I can get a quick pic of it.

Bargain-bin :lol: .... I have heard that before, my bf said there used to be a thrift store in Mass called that.

Nice Maxima :happy:

Thanks SS. I thought it was a funny name since I got it for $25 out of an actual bin in the petco tank :D

surgicalsense
Thanks SS. I thought it was a funny name since I got it for $25 out of an actual bin in the petco tank :D

Welcomed ... well that is a steal of price for Binny the Maxima. I hope it stays happy and healthy for you.

Bargin Bin :lol:

Welcomed ... well that is a steal of price for Binny the Maxima. I hope it stays happy and healthy for you.

Bargin Bin :lol:

Did you just name my clam binny?

surgicalsense
Did you just name my clam binny?

Yes? Sorry .... Just kind of seemed fitting at the moment.

Yes? Sorry .... Just kind of seemed fitting at the moment.

dont be sorry be honored! I shall call him binny from now on, he will be my binny!

crappy top down pic but beleive it or not that is very close to the true color.

ddef32c8.jpg

Archived