Coral Vue Hydros

Flameback Angle for a Reef?

Red Sea Reefer

Red Sea Reefer

Getting my first fish for my 6 month old LPS tank tomarrow. A mated pair of snow Onxy clowns with a GBTA they host from Alpha Corals.

I would slowly like to stock to 4 fish or so and am considering a Flameback angle I saw at a LFS today. According to liveaquaria they require 30 gal minimum. I have a BC29. They say reef safe with caution, nip at SPS and some polyps. Would I be ok in my clown/LPS tank?

altolamprologus

As with all dwarf angels, it depends on the individual. It's usually 50/50 whether they will nip or not.

Red Sea Reefer

Would they nip at Acans and Scolymia's? I would assume Favias would be safe. Any problem with clowns? Are these fish prone to hide in the rock or do they display thier glory? Thanks.

I was considering adding a dwarf angel (lemonpeel) to the tank but after lots of reading and some recent experience with my peppermints I decided not to add it. My peppermints although should be reef safe, started to eat my frogspawn and then duncan. you can imagine how frustrated I was looking at this. I was trying to distract them but I can't be at the tank all the time. So think about it. How will you feel when you watch your nice angel nip on your favorite coral? And there is nothing really you can do about it.

altolamprologus
Would they nip at Acans and Scolymia's? I would assume Favias would be safe. Any problem with clowns? Are these fish prone to hide in the rock or do they display thier glory? Thanks.

As I said before it depends on the individual fish. There's a chance that the favortie fod of the angel you get just happens to be scolys, but there's a chance it won't eat any coral.

Clowns usually stay out in the open

I was considering adding a dwarf angel (lemonpeel) to the tank but after lots of reading and some recent experience with my peppermints I decided not to add it. My peppermints although should be reef safe, started to eat my frogspawn and then duncan. you can imagine how frustrated I was looking at this. I was trying to distract them but I can't be at the tank all the time. So think about it. How will you feel when you watch your nice angel nip on your favorite coral? And there is nothing really you can do about it.

Peppermints are usually not reef safe. I don't know why people think they are

i have a flameback in my solana with sps, zoas and chalices and he is leaving everything alone. i also have clowns and a nem in there and everyone gets along even my strawberry dotty and the female mckoskers wrasse.

the flameback does peck at the rocks, but i think he is grazing for any little bit of algae he can get. which is ok with me.

like alto says, if he changes his mind on what he wants to nip at, he is gone.

Paleoreef103
As I said before it depends on the individual fish. There's a chance that the favortie fod of the angel you get just happens to be scolys, but there's a chance it won't eat any coral.

Peppermints are usually not reef safe. I don't know why people think they are

I hate Peppermints. I've had numerous acans ripped apart by them.

If you want to increase your chances of an angel behaving make sure it is fed twice a day. It won't eliminate the possibility, but it will increase your odds.

altolamprologus

If you have a good LFS, they shouldn't protest to putting a couple corals in with the angel to see what happens. Unless the fish tanks are medicated of course.

Red Sea Reefer

Thanks for all the responses guys. Always have to double check what the LFS says. As it happens this fish was in a BC29 with a few corals. Still sounds luke a crap shoot. It's not a terribly expensive fish. Might try it out after I research a few other options. Thanks again.

disaster999

have one in my sps tank with one acan colony and some leathers. so far hes leaving everything alone and getting fat off pellets.

Archived