Blennylover14

Blennylover14

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • Joined 24 Feb 2012
  • Colorado

Does anyone live in Colorado? Because the prices here are HORRIBLE
Bubble anemones small are now 60.00$ when I remember I used to get them for about 25.00$
Wow and I went looking for a pearly jawfish49.99$
They were 19.99$ last year
I'm fed up with this. This is why I took my large 180 gallon reef down I couldn't afford it at all. Gonna get hard to afford a nano now.
Especially being a college student!!!!
WOW

iball1804

iball1804

heard that!

• Members
  • 10,942 posts
  • Joined 09 Apr 2011
  • where the wild things are
A little frag of xenia of TN is around 40-50$. We're talking like an inch frag.

altolamprologus

altolamprologus

Female reefer

• Members
  • 5,929 posts
  • Joined 21 Feb 2011
  • Bay Area, California
Stories like this make me glad I'm in California. I live like 15 minutes away from a main port where all the livestock comes in :P

You're the type of man who passes by sports illustrated and grabs encyclopedia brittanica when you take a dump, huh?

Did someone mention Alto ???
Im GAGA for Alto !!

I'd give you a hug but you might stab me

29 gallon reef; 20 gallon angler lagoon

Posted Image

PwnMe

PwnMe

What smells better? Xenia or dead bodies?

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • Joined 18 Jan 2012
My LFS throws free coral in my bags all the time. I bought one Xenia frag for $19.99 and I went home with 6.

iball1804

iball1804

heard that!

• Members
  • 10,942 posts
  • Joined 09 Apr 2011

Stories like this make me glad I'm in California. I live like 15 minutes away from a main port where all the livestock comes in :P

:mellow:

matt20

matt20

College Reefer

• Members
  • 872 posts
  • Joined 13 Mar 2012
  • Bay Area, California
Most of this has to do with the shipping required to get livestock from thousands of miles away to your LFS. Gas prices will never be low again so prices, for exotic stuff like this especially, will continue to rise.

seabass

seabass

Do I look serious?

• Premium Members
  • 12,644 posts
  • Joined 03 Jun 2003
  • Iowa
Why should prices be cheaper? Have shipping prices decreased recently? In general, reef livestock prices have declined relative to transportation costs. If anything, you should be whining 'bout gas prices.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

nor_cal_nano

nor_cal_nano

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  • Joined 23 Apr 2009
  • Las Vegas, NV

My LFS throws free coral in my bags all the time. I bought one Xenia frag for $19.99 and I went home with 6.

19.99 for a stalk?! They better throw in another 5.... People throw that stuff in the trash.

A little frag of xenia of TN is around 40-50$. We're talking like an inch frag.

If you are not exaggerating... my advice to you would be to set up a xenia tank asap. :bling: :bling: :bling:

Posted Image

iball1804

iball1804

heard that!

• Members
  • 10,942 posts
  • Joined 09 Apr 2011

If you are not exaggerating... my advice to you would be to set up a xenia tank asap. :bling: :bling: :bling:

Eh. There's really not a market for it. That's why they can jack it up, because the corals are relatively hard to get here and SW LFSs are pretty rare. <_<

patback

patback

Nano Reefer

• Premium Members
  • 8,187 posts
  • Joined 11 Aug 2011
  • Long island

Most of this has to do with the shipping required to get livestock from thousands of miles away to your LFS. Gas prices will never be low again so prices, for exotic stuff like this especially, will continue to rise.

Don't let that fool you though, yes it's true, but every middleman on the way is lining their pockets a bit also. Te pizzeria in my town raised the prices of their pizzas by 3 dollars in the past 2 years due to gas prices, and posted a note on their signs saying this. Hypothetically, let's say they make 5000 pizzas out of a shipment( I have no idea of its more or less) before they need to reorder. You're telling me that it costs 15000 dollars more in gas to get the ingredients?

Simone selling coral should be affected even less, since they frag off of mother colonies an very rarely bring in shipments of stuff such as Xenia, zoas, and most other softies.

iball1804

iball1804

heard that!

• Members
  • 10,942 posts
  • Joined 09 Apr 2011
I see you're on an Apple product.

totalimmortal363

totalimmortal363

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Joined 02 Jun 2008
  • Westminster, CO
What store do you go to?

All the places I've been to in the Denver area are about the same, save maybe the Petco's that are decent at times. I got a beautiful Maxi-Mini at Petco of all places for $30, a LFS wated $50 for a not-so-great one.
Posted Image

Thornchase

Thornchase

Mountain Reefer

• Members
  • 803 posts
  • Joined 03 Jan 2012
  • Colorado Springs, CO
I have noticed!!
3g jbj Pico
Colorado Reefer
Posted Image

patback

patback

Nano Reefer

• Premium Members
  • 8,187 posts
  • Joined 11 Aug 2011
  • Long island

Lucky. My lfs had a stung, bleached Xenia once in their 10 dollar tank. When I saw one the exact same size growing underneath the frag rack on the glass in the 39 dollar tank(about half as damaged as the other one) they told me I would have to pay 39 because it was in the 39 tank. When I pointed out that it was damaged, not on a plug, and the same size as the 10 dollar one, they rebutted with " but it's in the 39 dollar tank.

GiantBen

GiantBen

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 3,065 posts
  • Joined 26 Jan 2009
  • North Bay, CA

Don't let that fool you though, yes it's true, but every middleman on the way is lining their pockets a bit also. Te pizzeria in my town raised the prices of their pizzas by 3 dollars in the past 2 years due to gas prices, and posted a note on their signs saying this. Hypothetically, let's say they make 5000 pizzas out of a shipment( I have no idea of its more or less) before they need to reorder. You're telling me that it costs 15000 dollars more in gas to get the ingredients?

Simone selling coral should be affected even less, since they frag off of mother colonies an very rarely bring in shipments of stuff such as Xenia, zoas, and most other softies.

If that number if 500 pizzas, then maybe it does cost $1500 more in gas. Depends on where the things come from. They are probably also factoring in the fact that gas prices are pretty associated with cost of living, so they could be paying the employees (probably not) or themselves (probably) more to compensate for having more personal expense.

banshee

banshee

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,135 posts
  • Joined 15 Feb 2012
  • Pittsburgh, PA
This is why you need to join the local reefers club and then stalk the livestock forum. I've been doing pretty well for myself. I also became personal friends with the top manager of the LFS. He throws in freebies all the time now. I wanted 2, maybe 3 hermits and my bag had 5. :happy:

Euphyllia

Euphyllia

http://youtu.be/j7_lSP8Vc3o?t=21s

• Members
  • 7,666 posts
  • Joined 06 Apr 2010
  • http://youtu.be/7LP4foN3Xs4?t=18s
Yeah, that's why I'm happy to be shutting down some of my tanks. I just can't deal with these crazy prices. My LFS gets Grade 'A' ORA Picassos in for like $50, they sell them for $200. My other LFS gets bubble anemones in by the dozens, not sure for how much, but they price an 8" one at about $200, despite being bleached, starved or elsewhat. They sold me a $110 completely bleached, staved BTA for my first anemone and told me it would regain its color if I fed it some cyclops, which were too small for it to feel to open and digest and it just blew all over the tank. <_<

solefald

solefald

Nigerian Prince

• Members
  • 766 posts
  • Joined 16 Jan 2012
  • San Diego, CA

you spent $120 on basically a parasite coral that would infest your tank to the point where you would want to use explosives.

I bought 2 stalks for $3.

BTA prices vary. I got mine for $30 on sale. Most of the places have them for $45-55 for a small one, and i DO live in California.

banshee

banshee

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,135 posts
  • Joined 15 Feb 2012
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Hmmmm, my purple BTA was $90. Greens/tans are usually $30. Rose/red are $100+. I had never seen purple before so it was worth it to me but I probably could have talked them down.

holdorf333

holdorf333

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 14,577 posts
  • Joined 31 Oct 2007
  • CoSpgs
where in CO are you?

logo.jpg

isupport_zpsbf1eb16d.gif

Thornchase

Thornchase

Mountain Reefer

• Members
  • 803 posts
  • Joined 03 Jan 2012
  • Colorado Springs, CO
That's why I only get my corals from SCMAS :)
3g jbj Pico
Colorado Reefer
Posted Image

Blennylover14

Blennylover14

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • Joined 24 Feb 2012
  • Colorado
I'm in southern Denver. Centenial.
I go to Todd's tropical fish where I spent 80$ for a GBTA with a anemone crab. The anemone is dying now so there's another waste of 60$ when my water params are perfect.
I've tried about all stores in Colorado.
Aquamart- waaaaay expensive
Todd's- expensive
South broadway- cheapest
There all about the same
And I just keep loosing money left and right

Euphyllia

Euphyllia

http://youtu.be/j7_lSP8Vc3o?t=21s

• Members
  • 7,666 posts
  • Joined 06 Apr 2010
  • http://youtu.be/7LP4foN3Xs4?t=18s

you spent $120 on basically a parasite coral that would infest your tank to the point where you would want to use explosives.

I bought 2 stalks for $3.

BTA prices vary. I got mine for $30 on sale. Most of the places have them for $45-55 for a small one, and i DO live in California.

How did he pay $120 if he only paid $20? :huh:

Edited by Euphyllia, 11 April 2012 - 07:55 PM.

solefald

solefald

Nigerian Prince

• Members
  • 766 posts
  • Joined 16 Jan 2012
  • San Diego, CA

How did he pay $120 if he only paid $20? :huh:

ah. my bad. long day. he said he paid $20 for one, but went home with 6.

Kazooie

Kazooie

Sing to me now, my angel of music

• Members
  • 8,440 posts
  • Joined 10 Jul 2010
  • This Place

I'm in southern Denver. Centenial.
I go to Todd's tropical fish where I spent 80$ for a GBTA with a anemone crab. The anemone is dying now so there's another waste of 60$ when my water params are perfect.
I've tried about all stores in Colorado.
Aquamart- waaaaay expensive
Todd's- expensive
South broadway- cheapest
There all about the same
And I just keep loosing money left and right

Last time I was in Denver I stopped by Elite Roof, it was nice.

If you were into the puberty phase, you'd be a ####ing neckbeard. Get out of here you ####ing tween #### ##### ass mother####er stupid ##### bastard ####er chicken leg pride rally supporter. Get out of here with your poverty opinions you ####ing ice cream sandwich stupid #### ##### alter ego reported for harassing me and I messaged the FBI and I left Obama a voicemail and wrote a postcard to your parents.
Enjoy not posting you giant neckbeard looooser.

Do you even logic?

thanks jen. i have him on ignore so i don't get sick whenever he's craving attention. kazooie, to be honest the world would be better off without you and your parents will actually be happy when they discover you lifeless in the bathtub with slit wrists. HTH