SaltCritters.com

tech M and red branching algae help.

MatthewStarr

MatthewStarr

i'm trying to treat my tank with kent marine tech M for byropsis. However, I have a really nice red branching algae in there thats a pretty big size. Will having high levels of magnesium kill off the algae or does it just affect the byropsis?

MatthewStarr

I don't have a tank shot because the blue from the LED's really washes out the photos. But I found this online. Its from LA reefs. Its the exact type of algae I have except a lot bigger. So will high magnesium levels kill it? right now it's at 1800 ppm. Only there to get rid of byropsis. All help is welcome :)

post-50179-1334171638_thumb.jpg

altolamprologus

Bryopsis is the only algae to my knowledge that is adversely affected by high mag. I would be more worried about your inverts. If you have any snails they're probably all dead by now. Bring your mag down to 1600ppm. That's all you need to kill bryopsis.

MatthewStarr

Thanks for the info. I feel a lot better. I really love that algae and don't want it to die off. Even though there are some branches that turned white even before the magnesium supplimentation. I can't figure out why. I have my alkalinity right on target. My calcium is good and so is the ph. I also dose trace elements. Hmmmm. I run high powered leds at half the power since its only a 6 gallon tank. As far as inverts believe it or not there are 2 hermit crabs that seem to survive everything lol. They are doing fine.

It is quite possible that your LEDs may not emit the proper wavelengths for Chlorophyll A (violet, blue and red). I believe you have Scinaia huismanii there.

MatthewStarr
It is quite possible that your LEDs may not emit the proper wavelengths for Chlorophyll A (violet, blue and red). I believe you have Scinaia huismanii there.

Even though I have 3W leds? 50/50 royal blue and white?

Archived