SaltCritters.com

cycle questions

risk1994

Thanks Mike, I agree with what your saying.

My concern with the floss was that I didnt want my nitrifying bacteria growing in it since Ill be tossing it once I start in with livestock.

Don't worry about it, toss it. I replace my floss every 2-3 days. It catches all the heavy chunky crap, and its not in there long enough to build up any significant amount of biological filtration. If anything, it'll add to your nitrate and waste levels.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't. I got my CUC from reefcleaners.com. Instructions were to acclimate them to tank temperature by floating the bags for 15minutes, discard any excess water or paper towels, and put the CUC straight into the tank. By this method all my snails seem in good health and are very active, eating algae and crawling around/though the sand. I would highly recommend reefcleaners for your CUC.

My plan was to add some corals slowly and add 1 fish later on.

I'm wondering if I should add the fish first since he'd be by far the largest single bioload. I assume I wont mini cycle with a couple of corals but an ocellaris in a 5.5g tank might cause some ammonia in the short term and I dont want it to hurt my corals.

Fish first or coral?

Archived