Innovative Marine Aquariums

Ebay digital temp controllers

fast93accord

fast93accord

I realized my tank was gonna get too hot in the summer. I have a cooling fan, which will drop 10degrees off a tank if it keeps running, but there's no way to control it. On eBay there's an assortment of digital temperature controllers. I bought 1 that controls a heater and cooling device. Only con its celcius... Farenheight ones only had 1 relay inside. The one I got has 2 relays. I hooked this up a month ago to the cooling fan. And last night I hooked my heater up to it. This unit works fantastic! Totally programmable. It does not supply power, but controls it. A lot of people are using these for brewing beer... For $15 its awesome. Even can calibrate temp sensor, set degrees on and off...

fast93accord

Perfect. If u notice the wiring diagram on top there's 8 wire terminals. Most only have 6 terminals. 2 for power/ground. 2 for supplied temp probe. 2 for heater circuit, 2 for cooling circuit. Even has a programmable delay for use with chiller/ac compressor... These come in 110v, 220v or 12v. Like I stated, even though mine is 110v, it will not supply voltage out to heater/cooler. It is just a relay...

I've also used this controller, the stc-1000 for heating and cooling i will use it again , except just for cooling

i'll rely on the heaters in-built thermostat as the stc-1000 dosent have a memory so in the advent of power loss it resets its settings which may npot be at the temp you want them at as for it not powering the heaters or fans i used the one power cord with short jumpers to the other circuits here is a circuit i drew up for friend for this unit he only wanted it for heating but you can see what ive done with the wiring anyway

wiringdiagram.jpg

I unplugged mine the other day...it kept its memory...

from memory it resets to 25( so may not have been a problem for you) but you lose stuff like calibration ( if any was needed) and compressor delay

fast93accord

I double checked. My calibration stayed, along with base number 26.3,my .3 difference kick on/off... and my sensor calibration numbers..... Maybe I have a different model then yours??? So, heater on at 26, off at 26.3, fan on at 26.6, fan off at 26.3. Sensor calibration -.4...

That's an awesome deal. I used to be big into homebrewing and paid almost a bill for my temp controller although it was much nicer. Gonna have to pick one of these up. How long on shipping as I notices its comming from hong kong?

Mine is an stc-1000. I unplugged it. Every setting stayed to what I set! :)

i went and tested mine ( not currently set up) it didnt hold its memory perhaps they have upgraded it as mine is at least 3 years old

The problem with super cheap temperature controllers is they also use super cheap memory, which can only be written so many times... if you never change your parameters it's often fine, but if you're changing things frequently, each time you change it, it gets a little closer to farting out and either becoming useless or not holding params when powered off.

Fuji makes excellent quality temperature controllers, and you can often find them for decently cheap on Ebay... they'll require you to run a separate solid state relay to control your device(s), but it's worth it for the peace of mind and flexibility.

Also keep in mind that your controller can only read temperature as accurately as the probe you buy - omega.com is definitely the place to find good probes. My NQXL has been above 1200 F and below -108 F and looks just like the day I got it (other than a slight change of color). Omega probes are great at minimizing the temperature drift associated with extreme temperatures.

Archived