Innovative Marine Aquariums

Cooling a pico reef.

Kribensis_fish

Kribensis_fish

Hello, summer is coming and i must find a way to cool down my 6.6 gallon pico reef.

One option is to put a fan but due to the problem of vaporization is not a good option.

What other options i have ? Is there an intergrated solution to buy or something to do my self ?

Hello, summer is coming and i must find a way to cool down my 6.6 gallon pico reef.

One option is to put a fan but due to the problem of vaporization is not a good option.

What other options i have ? Is there an intergrated solution to buy or something to do my self ?

Frozen water bottles?

TheUnfocusedOne
Frozen water bottles?

Effective but not easily controllable.

What sort of filters do you have? There's a few good HOB chillers on the market.

Kribensis_fish

i dont think that with frozen bottles i can keep a stable temperature. I prefer a diy project. i have one nano koralia and one eheim pick up filter.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
i dont think that with frozen bottles i can keep a stable temperature. I prefer a diy project. i have one nano koralia and one eheim pick up filter.

Sounds like you are a DIR type of person, so I would recommend the AC 20 filter and the Ice Probe by Coolworks!

If you have room on your tank for the HOB this will work. Is your tank Acrylic so you can drill 1..25" inch hole to retrofit the chiller, rather than use the HOB filter?

Do you own a DA reef keeper to control the chiller and keep it stable like you prefer? If not, they sell the controllers as well.

We carry them on our site if you should happen to go that route. ;)

If you are on a budget, I would recommend bringing down the tank to the coldest part of the house while your summer comes and goes! Also do reverse lighting for both your fixture and your circulation pumps, only have them come on at night!

I have done that in the past and it has worked!

Hope that helps out!

MG

Islandoftiki

About 3/4 of the way down the page, Micro-Reefs sells a peltier electronic chiller:

CoolWorks MicroChiller or the Iceprobe -- http://www.micro-reefs.com/products--shop.html

You'll also need the CoolWorks Proportional Temperature Controller

That's the cheapest chiller option that I know of.

Lol, Mike beat me to it...

Archived