SaltCritters.com

Does clown reduce activity/swimming lots if hosted by anemone?

duganderson

duganderson

I have two small Occellarus Clowns (1.25 " and 1.5') in my nano-cube 29 with two small RBTA anemones. The anemones are not hosting the clowns yet even though it has been a couple months together.

i love how the clowns swim and frolic around the tank. I thought I wanted the anemone(s) to host the clowns (and I was going to try some things to force this relationship a little more), but I'm worried they will not be as fun to watch and swim around the tank if they get hosted by the RBTA.

In a tank this size if hosted by the RBTA, would a clown generally just hang out in the anemone and reduce swimming OR does it mostly just use the anemone as a home base to check into, sleep in, etc.?

Thanks, Doug

I thought I wanted the anemone(s) to host the clowns (and I was going to try some things to force this relationship a little more)

how would you force a relationship between a clown and a nem?

how would you force a relationship between a clown and a nem?

You can put photos of hosting anemones on the tank or even put the clowns and nem in a small tank for a while.

duganderson

If you get one clown to get hosted by an anemone will the other clown usually join in too? Do 2 clowns both get hosted by 1 anemone or is it usually only one clown per anemone?

I was going to try putting a clown in a plastic strainer with the anemone for a day or two? I've heard people say this works well. I've tried the 'photos of clowns in anemones' for 2 months and I think I can still hear the clowns laughing at this strategy.

If I did this, would you try it with the girl (bigger) or boy (smaller) clown? OR both?

It usually wont leave but maybe 6" from it unless feeding :) sometimes!

That's interesting.....right now, they are "hosted" by the return pump nozzle in the top corner of the tank but they only hang out there when the lights are out except for occasionally checking in at the nozzle briefly; otherwise, they are swimming around the tank in their clownfish style.

Mine live in a couple corals on the right side of my tank. The male is usually always in the host but the female wonders around a bit more. Both stay on the right side of the tank. When I first got them they wandered all over the tank but after a couple weeks they settled where they are now.

Archived