Coral Vue Hydros

Starting biological filtration

CAmor07

Hello,

I just put 16Lbs of fiji live rock and 15LBs of live sand in my bc 14

Will that create a cycle, i just took a reading and it was 0 Ammonia,

Also if i have some bubbles under my rocks is that a big deal or will those just go away?

Thanks

jedimasterben
Hello,

I just put 16Lbs of fiji live rock and 15LBs of live sand in my bc 14

Will that create a cycle, i just took a reading and it was 0 Ammonia,

Also if i have some bubbles under my rocks is that a big deal or will those just go away?

Thanks

Were the rocks ever not completely submerged? (a few seconds, like taking from water out and putting it in your tank is ok)

It was cured, should i add maybe some frozen brine shrimp?

There is no need - you are expecting too much too fast.

Give your tank a few weeks and in the mean time do some reading - might I suggest the articles here in the library.

Thank you Pickle,

Ill give it another week or so and see if i find different results, and if you have any articles that can educate me, that would be great if you could give them to me to read. I've tried to read as much as possible and have started over 3 months ago, but with this hobby i've learned you have never learned enough.

altolamprologus

If you keep getting zeros in ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate for the next 10 days, it is safe to assume you will not get a cycle and you can go ahead and add some snails and hermit crabs.

I plan on going the same route of waiting a couple of weeks after adding cured LR before adding CUC or anything else. Just to be safe.

I'm wondering though, doesnt the nitrifying bacteria need ammonia? Isnt livestock necessary to keep the cycle going?

Archived