SaltCritters.com

cheato keeps dying

Disturbed22

Disturbed22

My cheato that I bought to put in my modded AC70 was about the size of a softball when I got it and now its down to a half dollar size. I have a reverse lighting schedule for my fuge. It has 6500k lighting. So why is my cheato shrinking rather than growing?

altolamprologus

Check your phosphates and nitrates. Chaeto dies quickly if it doesn't have a constant source of nutrients.

Disturbed22
Check your phosphates and nitrates. Chaeto dies quickly if it doesn't have a constant source of nutrients.

I don't have a test kit. But what can I do to have more nutrients

I don't have a test kit. But what can I do to have more nutrients

Feed your fish/corals more. Or add another fish. You have to be careful though--it's all about getting the right balance of nutrient import vs. export. But yes, it does sound like your water is too "clean" for chaeto the way it is now.

Disturbed22
Feed your fish/corals more. Or add another fish. You have to be careful though--it's all about getting the right balance of nutrient import vs. export. But yes, it does sound like your water is too "clean" for chaeto the way it is now.

Ahh makes sense. I filter the #### out of my tank that could be why. I have a modded AC70 with chaeto and a AC50 with mechanical filtration. I just added a scooter blenny today and peppermint shrimp. Also tommorow I'm getting a good amount of coral in the mail

altolamprologus

This is the one time it's actually a good thing when something is dying :lol: I would just run the AC70 without any chaeto for now and put some back in once you start to notice a bit of algae in the display. Then you'll know there's enough nutrients and you won't waste your money on chaeto just to have it die again.

nolongerusing

my chaeto keeps dying as well.

i have cyano bacteria so im assuming i have enough nitrates for maco algae to grow. :huh:

its kinda demoralizing haha i have a green thumb with potted plants but i cant keep aquatic plants to save my life.

altolamprologus
my chaeto keeps dying as well.

i have cyano bacteria so im assuming i have enough nitrates for maco algae to grow. :huh:

its kinda demoralizing haha i have a green thumb with potted plants but i cant keep aquatic plants to save my life.

Actually in your case the cyano may be why the chaeto is dying. Cyano competes for nutrients incredibly well so it may be pulling out the nutrients before the chaeto has a chance to get any.

i had chaeto in my AC70..

i have a love hate relationship with it... it grows crazy but sometimes they like to go into my tank..

i decided to give them to a new owner :)

I think it's pretty simple, chaeto needs light, nitrates, and phosphates to grow (nutrient export = growth of macro algae). If it lacks some of the above, then it will not grow properly. In a case of no growth with lighting, then I would assume that your water is pretty clean. If you have Cyano, which needs the same as chaeto to grow, I would assume the cyano is consuming most of it, which robs from the chaeto. Try to have a decent flow through your chamber if it isn't already receiving it.

Archived