• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Leonard

Leonard

• Sponsor
  • 148 posts
  • Joined 19 Feb 2002
  • California

I'm surprised there isn't a dedicated thread about this upcoming show yet :)

Fishtank Kings: A New Nat Geo TV Show (Updated with Press Release) | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

National Geographic Wild television channel will debut the new show on May 12, 2012 starring none other than Living Color Aquariums, a manufacturer of high-end aquatic installations (including public aquariums) and a frequent contributor to Advanced Aquarist blogs.

More information and press release found in the article. I have my fingers crossed this show will be a much more responsible version of Tanked.

iPhone

iPhone

blah

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • Joined 07 Dec 2011
on my mommma dat goe

about-logo.png

siwelk

siwelk

The Token Reefer

• Members
  • 4,981 posts
  • Joined 06 May 2004
  • The Hoosier State
The problem with these shows is that I don't care about anything they create.

Their services are generally marketed towards people who have more money than sense.

& non-hobbyists.

I'd like to see them (Kings) spend more time discussing the technical aspects of what they do.

RayWhisperer

RayWhisperer

High society hillbilly & Honorary SCNRS member

• Moderators
  • 14,367 posts
  • Joined 04 Sep 2005
  • McBilly
Reality TV crap....

All the channels are doing this now. Easy money. That's all it is. Tanked gets ratings, some other station has to make a show to compete.

Flipping through the channels on Easter, I was shocked to see the show American Pickers on the History channel. Please tell me how a show about some garbage pickers = history...

Leaving now. See you #####es on the flip side.

siwelk

siwelk

The Token Reefer

• Members
  • 4,981 posts
  • Joined 06 May 2004
  • The Hoosier State

Tanked gets ratings, some other station has to make a show to compete.

You mean it's the same formula that 'Pawn Stars' used!?
Now there's a bastardized derivation on every major cable network.

:D

I hear EA Sports is about to release Pawn Stars vs. Storage Wars 2013 for Xbox and Playstation.

RayWhisperer

RayWhisperer

• Moderators
  • 14,367 posts
  • Joined 04 Sep 2005
  • McBilly
What network is that show on? Probably the History channel, but I really don't know.

sublunary

sublunary

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 871 posts
  • Joined 15 Jul 2009
  • Cranford, NJ

Reality TV crap....

All the channels are doing this now. Easy money. That's all it is. Tanked gets ratings, some other station has to make a show to compete.

Flipping through the channels on Easter, I was shocked to see the show American Pickers on the History channel. Please tell me how a show about some garbage pickers = history...

I actually kind of like American Pickers. They sometimes find some really interesting old stuff. and they through in just enough facts about the stuff they find to make it sort of historical. Plus there are crazy people - crazy people get ratings.

I suppose there's no chance the new show will go into any more detail about the stuff we find interesting than tanked does...

JamesHL88

JamesHL88

o.Oż?

• Members
  • 1,668 posts
  • Joined 21 Dec 2011
Cant believe nobody has mentioned the storage wars clones... there is like three clones of that show and one of them comes on the same channel lol

(And in the last scene of the mississippi delta episode of american pickers you can see my house. I wish i had been mowin the yard at that moment. I would be a star.)

C.I._Reefer

C.I._Reefer

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
  • Joined 20 Jan 2012

Cant believe nobody has mentioned the storage wars clones... there is like three clones of that show and one of them comes on the same channel lol

(And in the last scene of the mississippi delta episode of american pickers you can see my house. I wish i had been mowin the yard at that moment. I would be a star.)

the original storage wars show rocks though, but all the clones suck ass. Same with pawn stars

Chrisl1976

Chrisl1976

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 937 posts
  • Joined 12 Feb 2012
  • Kankakee, Illinois

the original storage wars show rocks though, but all the clones suck ass. Same with pawn stars

Its like the original CSI is the best.....the others are just crappy knock-offs B)

Just a JBJ 28CF on its way to looking wonderful.

Posted Image

HecticDialectics

HecticDialectics

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 44,391 posts
  • Joined 25 Oct 2006

The problem with these shows is that I don't care about anything they create.

Their services are generally marketed towards people who have more money than sense.

& non-hobbyists.

I'd like to see them (Kings) spend more time discussing the technical aspects of what they do.

Maybe they can put a show about the technical aspects of keeping a reef on PBS Sunday morning at 3:30AM right after the show about cross-stitching. It'll help close down the programming for the night.

HecticDialectics

HecticDialectics

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 44,391 posts
  • Joined 25 Oct 2006
I apologize, that wasn't really a fair comparison. There's probably 50 or 55 times more people into watching a show about cross-stitching than technical aspects of reef keeping.

Alexraptor

Alexraptor

Stomatopod in a human suit!

• Members
  • 1,763 posts
  • Joined 27 Feb 2005
While I'm not a fan of the biological aspect of Tanked, I do get new ideas and inspiration from watching it.
Though funny enough the ideas and inspiration I get from the show is the complete opposite of what they do. :lol:

bizzarro

bizzarro

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Joined 30 Jan 2009
  • Northern NJ
Mindless people need mindless entertainment...hence the reason why there's so much crap on TV these days.

Edited by bizzarro, 11 April 2012 - 04:03 AM.

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Nano Reefer

• Premium Members
  • 5,564 posts
  • Joined 29 Sep 2009
  • Evanston, IL
Great! 'Another show with ninnies building 5000 gallon tanks filled with fake crap and plastic backdrops.

Edited by Mr. Microscope, 11 April 2012 - 01:52 PM.

74wp.png6ygv.png5cx1.pngxooo.pngxq0e.pngR2Fe5xc.gif

Leonard

Leonard

• Sponsor
  • 148 posts
  • Joined 19 Feb 2002
  • California

Great! 'Another show with ninnies building 5000 gallon tanks filled with fake crap and plastic backdrops.

Nano-reef forums respond to this news a lot differently than other forums ;)

LCA is a reputable company so I have hope that this show will be heads and shoulders better than Tanked. There's going to be drama because drama sells, but I'm hoping there's more attention paid to good husbandry. For example, they visit ORA farms for a June episode so that's a great sign IMO. They also visit public aquariums for behind the scenes, etc. This is not Tanked from what I am seeing.

Reefkeepers really hate fake corals, but it's really not that bad ;) In fact, I would prefer these shows promote fake corals vs wild caught corals because the audience is predominantly newbies.

mike c

mike c

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 973 posts
  • Joined 03 Apr 2011
  • Santa Barbara, CA
Animal Planet is replaying Tanked under Tanked: Unfiltered. Kinda like pop up video. Random facts and info on fish and parts of the build that didn't get covered in the original season. Its actually on, right now.

RayWhisperer

RayWhisperer

• Moderators
  • 14,367 posts
  • Joined 04 Sep 2005
  • McBilly
Oh, you mean like "In what species of fish does the male get pregnant?"

I saw that one on Easter at my aunts house.

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

LED world domination!

• Premium Members
  • 19,113 posts
  • Joined 18 Jan 2012
  • Okeechobee, FL

Animal Planet is replaying Tanked under Tanked: Unfiltered. Kinda like pop up video. Random facts and info on fish and parts of the build that didn't get covered in the original season. Its actually on, right now.

Like they did with River Monsters. I actually prefer the little popups, there's usually a lot more going on at the time than the camera shows, and it's interesting to get Jeremy's thoughts on what is going on.

Deckoz2302

Deckoz2302

Stony Reefer

• Members
  • 6,087 posts
  • Joined 29 Aug 2011
  • Raleigh, North Carolina
Pffft....river monsters and swamp people are the ish! Tanked just makes me mad lol...

OceanariumProject_zpsdcf024fc.jpg

GiantBen

GiantBen

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 3,065 posts
  • Joined 26 Jan 2009
  • North Bay, CA
If this has been covered somewhere, sorry.

I've seen Tanked once. My overall impressions is taht the guys are jerk-offs, and that they put too many fish in too small a tank, without considering compatibility much. That said, i've seen a lot of ripping regarding not setting up a biofiltration, etc. Does ayone know what is actually in the "life support" under the tank? I'm hoping it is more than just a canister filter, but afraid that I am wrong. I have never had a fish only SW tank, so I don't know if there is a difference in how filtration culd be handled vs the predominant live rock method we see here.

PS: Kinda liking Duck Dynasty....

iball1804

iball1804

heard that!

• Members
  • 10,942 posts
  • Joined 09 Apr 2011
  • where the wild things are

Oh, you mean like "In what species of fish does the male get pregnant?"

I saw that one on Easter at my aunts house.

I saw this one in St. Louis (easter). The comments they've got are ridiculous as well.

Deckoz2302

Deckoz2302

Stony Reefer

• Members
  • 6,087 posts
  • Joined 29 Aug 2011
  • Raleigh, North Carolina
Haha I just saw an episode last night....they used tap water in Vegas inside a hotel....and tap water ice cubes...and put fish in all within 8 hours on an overnight install haha. ####in noobs ;) (tanked show I mean)

Edited by Deckoz2302, 12 April 2012 - 07:55 AM.

OceanariumProject_zpsdcf024fc.jpg

21093r53

21093r53

College Reefer

• Members
  • 2,139 posts
  • Joined 15 Jul 2011
  • Maryland
Yeah this is old news dude, sorry. Hopefully it's better than the zero respect for animals west coast guidos show tanked.
25 cube
250wt Radium 20k, 4 x 24w giesemann actinic+, 16 x 6wt 420nm leds
asm g1-x
50wt ebo heater
SP 3000 powered by JBJ ATO
Deltec GFO reactor
Deltec carbon reactor
Aquamedic triple reef doser
RKL, sl1, net

any questions?

Baltimore Area Reef Hobbyists

feedback can be seen here...http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=302303

siwelk

siwelk

The Token Reefer

• Members
  • 4,981 posts
  • Joined 06 May 2004
  • The Hoosier State

The comments they've got are ridiculous as well.

QFT

Like I care what dude's wife's irrelevant blonde friend thinks.