Cultivated Reef

10 gallon all in one, brainstorming

impactfour

Hi there,

I'm off to college next year, and intend to continue reefkeeping, but need to downgrade size wise. My plan is to use one of the standard 10 gallon tanks I have lying around to build an all in one. I think I'm going to divide the tank into two equally sized halves with a diy rock wall. One one half, will be the equipment, my skimmer, pump, ac 70 or 110, and ato. I want to try to keep chemipure, purigen, and filter media in whichever aquaclear I use. I'd like to keep the pump and skimmer and ato in a section by themselves, which leaves a fair amount of open space in the equipment half, which i'd like to use as a deep sand bed area and fuge with mangroves. The aquaclear's intake will be in this proposed area, so I will surround it with a baffled tube(likely clear pvc or pvc painted black).

Proposed lighting is going to be using a par 38 bulb, either rapidled or ledtric hanging about 10 inches off the tank. Over the fuge is going to be a typical desk lamp.

I was thinking of throwing an algae scrubber into the design, it's not overkill on a 10 gallon?

As far as flow, I am not misled in figuring that I only will need whichever pump I end up with, there isn't a need for a powerhead in a 5 gallon display, right?

I'd like to make a mock up, and have seen some great computer generated plans around nr, anyone want to point me in the right direction to a popular program to use?

Anyone see any major flaw in my plans? Any tips, ideas ect would be greatly appreciated.

chucktdbm321

Hi there, I am a college reefer as well... Google Sketch is your best friend. It is completely free, easy to use, and you can download other peoples drawings into your own. It is great for designing anything without spending big bucks.

As for you design. Half of a ten gallon is very small. I have a ten right now and I couldn't imagine doing half of that. The algae scrubber could be cool but i think you would be better off just doing a clump of macro algae with a fuge light and as far as your fuge light. Use 1 3w NW led attached to a ac adapter it works great and is very cheap. I can show you my build if need be but desk lamps are very large and cumbersome for such a small tank.

I don't think a DSB in that small of an area would do you any good not saying it will harm the tank but don't see the point of taking up space.

Par bulb would be perfect, What you NEED to think about is. Are you going to be able to take care of your tank with your schedule? Will you be able to get water with a bud from walmart? (Just dont use tap please lol) How often are you going to have to move your tank??? <-- This is the most important point. I advise going bare bottom if you have to move your tank all the time. If you have any other questions pm me

Hi there, I am a college reefer as well... Google Sketch is your best friend. It is completely free, easy to use, and you can download other peoples drawings into your own. It is great for designing anything without spending big bucks.

As for you design. Half of a ten gallon is very small. I have a ten right now and I couldn't imagine doing half of that. The algae scrubber could be cool but i think you would be better off just doing a clump of macro algae with a fuge light and as far as your fuge light. Use 1 3w NW led attached to a ac adapter it works great and is very cheap. I can show you my build if need be but desk lamps are very large and cumbersome for such a small tank.

I don't think a DSB in that small of an area would do you any good not saying it will harm the tank but don't see the point of taking up space.

Par bulb would be perfect, What you NEED to think about is. Are you going to be able to take care of your tank with your schedule? Will you be able to get water with a bud from walmart? (Just dont use tap please lol) How often are you going to have to move your tank??? <-- This is the most important point. I advise going bare bottom if you have to move your tank all the time. If you have any other questions pm me

I won't have to move my tank more than once a year, as I already arranged to have the tank cared for, as far as water, I will be using ro/di from the marine lab, or water from the gulf bay, depending how the gulf bay water tests.

As far as the scrubber and dsb, are there any other opinions? I think ditching the algae scrubber for macro in the fuge might make sense, but I like the idea of the dsb, particularly since I want to run the display bare bottomed.

The par bulb will be one of the first thing's I buy i think, and thanks for the tip on google sketchup, just downloaded it :)

If I would do the same, I would probably do 1/3 fuge/sump and the rest DT or half DT and make an extra divider behind the fuge/sump for top off water.

Or just buy a 5,5g and replicate that ecoreef one! that looks realy cool and simple :o

Jb

I say to you: keep it simple, read this article and do the same.

I like that build, and thought that was an interesting article, but still will include plenty of chemical filtration as well as a fuge, i believe in those whole heatedly. However, I definitely thought his lack of a use of a clean up crew, as well as the use of false rack, instead of live rock and choice to go barebottom are all things I definitely will incorporate in my build. I also think I might try some full system water changes.

If I would do the same, I would probably do 1/3 fuge/sump and the rest DT or half DT and make an extra divider behind the fuge/sump for top off water.

Or just buy a 5,5g and replicate that ecoreef one! that looks realy cool and simple :o

Jb

I think I'm going to go use the 10 gallon still and buy

autotop off

led bulb

singular pump for flow

ac70 and mediabasket, perhaps diy set up

some egg crate

epoxy

dry rock

and acrylic, to section off the equipment, and the fuge.

I want to end up with a small display area probably 5 to 6 gallons, I plan to have a small amount of coral, and minimal livestock, maybe a single goby, perhaps one paired with a shrimp. I think I'll divide the tank in half length wise, then divide the fuge and equipment 50/50 with a piece of acrylic perpendicular between the two, drilled with a bunch of small holes for flow, as opposed to baffles. I may include an algae scrubber in the fuge, something similar to a biocube scrubber in which a user here used a tray on top of the column, with water flowing over it.

I wouldn't use the AC70! many of them tend to be rather noisy!!! sometimes its an easy fix, but in my case it wasn't...

If you will make such a big " sump" , why not make a small portion for a fuge? this will also mean that you can place the tank closer to the wall and less things sticking out ;)

I'm following arthur currently who is setting up a 15g, with simplicity in mind and I'm really digging his approach, maybe you should check it out too.

Whichever way you go, keep us updated ;)

Jb

I wouldn't use the AC70! many of them tend to be rather noisy!!! sometimes its an easy fix, but in my case it wasn't...

If you will make such a big " sump" , why not make a small portion for a fuge? this will also mean that you can place the tank closer to the wall and less things sticking out ;)

I'm following arthur currently who is setting up a 15g, with simplicity in mind and I'm really digging his approach, maybe you should check it out too.

Whichever way you go, keep us updated ;)

Jb

I'm using 2.5 gallons for a fuge, 2.5 gallons for the heater,(if i need one) auto top off, and pump, and 5 gallons for display.

This is the list of the items i plan to buy:

http://www.ledtric.com/store/products/ledt...p-18w-reef-lamp -bulb

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Hydor-Theo-50...ter-HY00034.htm -heater

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/AquaClear-70-...ter-HG10615.htm -ac70

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/hydor-...vo-mag-180.html 180gph pump

http://autotopoff.com/products/ST1/ -ato

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx...9&catid=442 x2=$11 acylic sheets

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Underwater-10...10.htm-$19 -underwater light for the fuge

http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fans-Ind...p;storeId=10051 –lamp

Should cost around $300 for the whole set-up

i'll also be getting silicone and a blade to score the acrylic at home depot. What type should I use? I'm going to divide the tank into 2 sections, 5 gallons display which is 10x10x12, a 2.5 gallon, 10x5x12 mangrove and dsb fuge, and a 2.5 gallon 10x5x12 area for the ac-70 to hang as well as it's intake. There is room for the heat, ato and pump as well in the space according to my diagrams.

In terms of passage for water, in the acrylic separating my display, and two 2.5 gallon sections, should I drill hole, make baffles, cut slits, if so how total area wise, anyone know how to calculate that measurement?

I decided to ditch the rock wall, because of all the open pores, and the space it takes up, I'm also going bare bottom in the display to help fight detritus.

Any comments on the current status, I want to do softies, zoas and sps in the tank, should there be enough flow and light for the sps?

I have a 10g AIO in college and I would recommend against using any sand because if you ever move the tank you will keep up everything decomposing in the sand and possibly have a nitrogen spike (whether ammonia through nitrate). Also when planning your filter room you need to plan ahead for finger room so you can actually adjust your equipment. My plans barely allow me to fit my skimmer when it's in and also make my pump a pain to take out for cleaning.

I have a 10g AIO in college and I would recommend against using any sand because if you ever move the tank you will keep up everything decomposing in the sand and possibly have a nitrogen spike (whether ammonia through nitrate). Also when planning your filter room you need to plan ahead for finger room so you can actually adjust your equipment. My plans barely allow me to fit my skimmer when it's in and also make my pump a pain to take out for cleaning.

Good point about the sand, I definitely will keep the display bare bottom, I'll do some research on the deep sand bed in the fuge and see if that could be an issue. I definitely will keep in the the room to work with though, I don't think i'm going to put any canopy on the tank, just gonna paint the outside on the equipment section.

Edit: just skimmed this article, http://www.reef-eden.net/DSBs.htm and thought it raised some interesting points, particularly it discussed the "fouling of sand" which you spoke to. I think a deep sand bed in my fuge with some nassarius snails, a couple of worms and some hitchhikers may be what I end up with.

I've always heard of both a small DSB and mangroves not doing much filter wise. If you're doing them for looks then that's great, but chaeto will do more for you than mangroves combined with a small DSB.

Maybe you could look into building a build-in ATS?

I'm considering to upgrade my 5,5 to a 10 with just an ATS filtration.

Also to try the concept (altough they discourage beginners to try it!)

Jb

I've always heard of both a small DSB and mangroves not doing much filter wise. If you're doing them for looks then that's great, but chaeto will do more for you than mangroves combined with a small DSB.

I think the dsb has good nutrient management, as well as providing a living space for a clean up crew that requires sand, given the fact I plan on having a bare-bottom display. I definitely will also include chaeto, and macro algae in the fuge.

Maybe you could look into building a build-in ATS?

I'm considering to upgrade my 5,5 to a 10 with just an ATS filtration.

Also to try the concept (altough they discourage beginners to try it!)

Jb

What is ATS filtration? I'd love to learn more!

Just read this article: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/algaeFilt.htm

looking into it, it would be pretty simple to incorporate an algae scrubber that slides in and out of the tank similarly designed to a filter pad. Perhaps an acyrlic frame, with plastic mesh in the middle somehow supported lying across the surface under the water could grow some algae under a white light?

Sorry for the double post, but what do you guys think about a rock wall, I think they look really nice in a lot of tanks, and would like to consider the idea, but part of me thinks the tank is too small, and may looked cramped with a rock wall and an aqua scape in 5 gallons

ATS = Algea Turf Scrubber, but I guess you already found that out ;)

I guess you could use a ats instead of a fuge with cheato, not sure though...

But you will have to do some research if you want to try it!

And March the first a new design will be revealed! Supposedly a lot better and simpler!

Personally I dont like the look of a rock wall (I like open reefs)

Jb

ATS = Algea Turf Scrubber, but I guess you already found that out ;)

I guess you could use a ats instead of a fuge with cheato, not sure though...

But you will have to do some research if you want to try it!

And March the first a new design will be revealed! Supposedly a lot better and simpler!

Personally I dont like the look of a rock wall (I like open reefs)

Jb

I like this buildDIY Internal Algae Turf Scrubber and would love to recreate something similar for my fuge, probably towards the equipment side, in the back of the fuge. Perhaps have it hang in the middle of the fuge area, and have a koralia 240 face it to keep the flow going

In between the 3 chambers I plan, do I need any baffles, or will drilling a handful of holes in key area's based off where my pump's going keep the water moving throughout the system using an ac-70 and the pump (180 gph) i plan on using?

No baffles are needed, just two false walls. You are really limiting yourself by dividing the tank in half though. Each false wall's grate needs to be lower than the previous.

No baffles are needed, just two false walls. You are really limiting yourself by dividing the tank in half though. Each false wall's grate needs to be lower than the previous.

Good to know about the levels. I don't plan on having an fish in the tank, as to keep in the guidelines for animal care if I choose to go abroad for a semester, as well as to keep the tank clean, so I actually like the idea of a smaller display, as to achieve a filled out look at a faster rate.

Archived