SaltCritters.com

Kept a 5"+ Maxima alive long term?

metrokat

Seamonkey84

One for 18 months and counting in my 10 gallon. 2/3 way up in the tank under 4x24w t5ho with ATI bulbs (about 7" away from light). As with any reef, stability is key. I have what's mostly a Acro and acan tank, I'm currently dosing 15ml of randys DIY two part each day. But test to figure out your needs at the start, need to check every 2-3 days to watch Alk levels to adjust dosage. then recheck every couple weeks to see if any adjustments are needed. Oh and with clams, like sps, aim for 0s across the board on detectable nutrients and phosphates. I have ~45x turnover between k-nano powerhead and AC30 (chemipure) along with AC70 fuge.

I've had one that I won at a raffle for over a year. No secret. Seems pretty hardy. I don't dose, and even when my biocube went to crap and I transitioned to my new tank, it is fine. I have always kept it on the sand bed. I also have a Squamosa and Corcea that I have had for about 8 months probably.

Yes I'm sure, and my mistake. I have a small rock under it that it attached to, I alwats just push the rock under the sand and forgot about it. It attached within a day.

saltwatercoral
Yes I'm sure, and my mistake. I have a small rock under it that it attached to, I alwats just push the rock under the sand and forgot about it. It attached within a day.

+1

You can put them in the sand but put a rock under them in the sand so they can atatch there foot.

Seamonkey84

Mine attached by the third day. I didn't start dosing until I started collecting acropora corals, and now the clam is growing bigger so it's using alot more. I was nervous when I first got it, but other than falling off the rock I put it on the first day, and the occasional algea bloom, it hasn't had any issues. I did test weekly (befor water changes) for a month to check if everything was stable and clean enough. After the clam did well for two months, I loaded up on sps corals. everything's been petty easy, once you get on a schedule.

Mine attached by the third day. I didn't start dosing until I started collecting acropora corals, and now the clam is growing bigger so it's using alot more. I was nervous when I first got it, but other than falling off the rock I put it on the first day, and the occasional algea bloom, it hasn't had any issues. I did test weekly (befor water changes) for a month to check if everything was stable and clean enough. After the clam did well for two months, I loaded up on sps corals. everything's been petty easy, once you get on a schedule.

How long have you had the maxima?

My maxima has been in my pico for 8 months and is doing very well. The only issue I have had with it is an on going battle with pyramid snails. The only thing I do is water change every week and dose nano code A & B when necessary between water changes.

TheUnfocusedOne

Uhh?

I've kept a maxima in a 12g for about 3 and a half years now. It's my parents tank, and they've only recently started doing regular water changes.

There's no secret, clams are actually pretty easy.

Grumblecakes

i've had mine since the first of the year and its doing great. its on the sand bed attached to a shell he was attached to at my lfs.

my lfs has 2 what i think are squamosas. he said he bought them off of someone and that they are at least 10 years old they gotta be atleast 18in long

i've had mine since the first of the year and its doing great. its on the sand bed attached to a shell he was attached to at my lfs.

Has it attached?

Edit: I can;t read today. I mean to a rock. A shell would be little

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum but have been keeping marine tanks since I was a twinkle in my fathers eyes. Im happy to see some success w/ maximas, and I asked Metrokat for help because we had been loosing so many clams, particularly maximas, that we simply gave up. Most never lasting much more than 6 months. Now I am really talking about 4" - 6" inchers that have been flooding the market from Cook Island and Vietnam, but we havnt had much better success with the smaller ones either. I am assuming you guys have smaller sizes since this is a nano forum, and I would really like to hear from anyone having success with larger maximas and croceas which just dont ship well and hate to be moved. We stopped importing croceas because they ALL carried pinched mantle ( all from vietnam), and the large maximas would just slowwwly fade away. Of course I know there is no secret...I am well aware of the requirements, etc... but my clam obsession has been tapping me on the shoulder lately and I am hoping to hear some success stories. WHat I am really hoping is to hear from someone with a large number of clams in a single system. THanks!

Uhh?

I've kept a maxima in a 12g for about 3 and a half years now. It's my parents tank, and they've only recently started doing regular water changes.

There's no secret, clams are actually pretty easy.

^

GiantBen, THanks for the response, Nice squamosa..I just picked one up excactly the same...7 inches with a nice blue rim. How long have you had the crocea? ..and did you get it from Live aquaria?

Ok, I see earlier where you said about 8 months...nice. Where did you get it from if you dont mind ? Many people have been having problems with pinched mantle coming from L.Aquaria clams, ( hate to drop names) expecially when it comes to croceas. In fact about 3 years ago they banned ALL importation of croceas from Vietnam for nearly a year because of this.

GiantBen, THanks for the response, Nice squamosa..I just picked one up excactly the same...7 inches with a nice blue rim. How long have you had the crocea? ..and did you get it from Live aquaria?

I got the squamosa and crocea off a guy on craigslist for around $70

• 6 months later...
reviving an old thread. anyone out there.

Big maximas over 5 inches I have had very poor luck with. Im not sure if its just my system because I have had bad pinched mantle disease in there. But Ive had a Gigas for almost 7 years.

Archived