Top Shelf Aquatics

Is this a macro?

Newlinta

Maybe im an idiot,but...

A LFS near me had a 5" rock covered in boring brown/green zoas...$30...

I normally wouldn't give something like that a second look, but this was

growing on top of the rock...

6f14417a.jpg

fd400ad0.jpg

d3af0d1d.jpg

e30a0c04.jpg

Anyone know what it is?

It's very tree-like with a dark brown/black trunk and purple branches.

Has a very "bonsai" look.

I don't know if it's worth $30 but I thought it would look awesome in

my 3 and under contest entry "The Lagoon;An Artistic Impression"

(see link in my sig)!!!

Thanks for your help in advance,

Tim

Just for reference...

The rock it's on is about 5"wide and 2 1/2" high,

So the part in question can't take up more than

2"- ish.

406c54d4.jpg

Captain Hook

hey its great you gotta prove me wrong, Im just trying to help. You had no idea what it was until somebody else said it anyways smart a$$

altolamprologus
hey its great you gotta prove me wrong, Im just trying to help. You had no idea what it was until somebody else said it anyways smart a$$

No need to take it as a person affront. Being corrected benefits you because now you know something new, and it benefits anybody who reads this thread in the future and is confused about what different species look like. You're right, I didn't know what it was until it was mentioned, but once it was brought up, I realized it does appear to fit in that genus. There is also no need for name calling. It just shows your immaturity and insecurity and has no place in this forum.

Definitely not halymenia. I agree, it looks like gelidium but there is a lot of variability with red branching macros. Also hard to tell when it's not very grown out. It could also be a haliptilon sp. or something similar. Most likely gelidium though

drunkenmonk21
Definitely not halymenia. I agree, it looks like gelidium but there is a lot of variability with red branching macros. Also hard to tell when it's not very grown out. It could also be a haliptilon sp. or something similar. Most likely gelidium though

Reds are some of the hardest to identify. There are so many of them and alot look alike.

its not about proving you wrong man. just trying to give accurate info.

altolamprologus
Reds are some of the hardest to identify. There are so many of them and alot look alike.

That is so true. There are so many red species that I swear look exactly the same

drunkenmonk21

See if this looks like what you have Gelidium

lol looking through that site I found at least 6 that looked exactly alike, but all had different names. Go figure

See if this looks like what you have Gelidium

lol looking through that site I found at least 6 that looked exactly alike, but all had different names. Go figure

It could be...so hard to tell. Not that color means that much,but what I have

Is very purple...not dark red or red-purple...

It kinda looks like a Gelidium sp macro

+1 on Gelidium. Appears to be either Gelidium corneum or Gelidium pacificum.

Archived