Cultivated Reef

new worm ive never seen before!

Pezking182

Looks like the leg of a mini brittle star.

ive def seen both ends of it so i dont think it is a mini brittle star. it was crawling all around the LR then went into a hole.

RayWhisperer

Looks like a digitat hydroid from the pic. However, that pic isn't too good for a positive ID. Another thought could be a spaghetti worm, though, they usually have many, super fine strands.

Here's a pic from somewhere else on this site. Is this your HH?

images-1-1.jpg

hmm maybe. it moves around like a worm. and it doesnt seem to have any "filaments" like the hydroid does. the pic is bad because it is sooo tiny i cant zoom in anymore

RayWhisperer

Yoda says...

If it no filaments has, then a hydroid it isn't.

I say...

Do you have a tripod and macro settings on the camera?

Yoda says...

If it no filaments has, then a hydroid it isn't.

I say...

Do you have a tripod and macro settings on the camera?

no tripod but that was the macro setting. zoomed in as well :/ camera is my wifes powershot. the worm is insanely small and thin.

Can't really tell much from the picture, but the coloration and pattern reminds me of Dorvilleidae. Would love to see another picture.

• 2 weeks later...

ive seen 2 more of these worms and i was able to suck one up with the baster... heres a pic, take a look at the shadow it casts. good to note it is MAYBE a centimeter fully stretched and about the thickness of a hair..in the tank it appears white and black striped but upon closer inspection on a white plate it actullay has a pinky glow....

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac302/P...NG/IMG_1937.jpg

it looks like some kind of bristle worm but ive never noticed the antennae on the bigger bristles i have

I also think it looks like something in the Dorvilleidae group.

definitely think were getting closer. it looks like the first picture under that group. but not so much like the others.

Amphiprion1

I'd agree with it being a dorvilleid. One near sure-fire way to find out is to look and see if you can find the set of jaws within the pharynx. The species I have in my system use those same jaws to mow strands of filamentous algae.

could it be a baby peanut worm?? cant tell from the pic but they r multicolored and tubular and have a mop mouth...nocturnal and detrivore,, i thought it was a lil snake first time i saw the 3" one,,

Archived