Innovative Marine Aquariums

Raccoon Butterfly

nicolestocks

nicolestocks

I purchased a raccoon butterfly last week and added him to my tank. He was doing really well and appeared to be very healthy. He was very active even when the light was off at night.

This morning, my husband got up to feed the fish before work and noticed him laying on the bottom of the tank very weak and not able to get up. I did a water sample this morning and all the level appeared normal. I am not having issues with any of the other fish.

Can someone provide insight as to what happened?

how big is your tank?

they need lots of swimming room and an average min tank size of 70 gallons

he could have been stressed out if the tank is very small

and they are not reef compatible

nicolestocks

the tank is 75g and he is a juvenile. there are is some reef but it is not over crowded by any means. there are lots of hiding places as well. he was always out in the open and swimming

Ok, well he might have been sick an you didn't know it when you bought him.

No one will ever know with the info stated. What are your params and stock list?

What did the fish look like the morning you got up and he was not moving.

RayWhisperer

What kind of anemone do you have?

Check it for any tentacles missing. It may just be the butterfly tried a sample and got stung.

While raccoons are usually considered as easy, I've noticed most juvenile butterfly fish tend to be pretty touchy. How long exactly did you have it? Do you know if the LFS where you got it had it for any length of time? Did you ever see it eat?

Archived