Cultivated Reef

Internal filter or move the tank?

joey1234

I have a 40 breeder setup - and it has basically 1 inch between the tank and the wall. I have some partticles always floating around and the water is not as clear as I would like it to be.. I would also like to run some carbon on the system.

I considered running a HOB filter - which I already have but cant use due to the distance between the tank and wall - I actually have the AC 110.... I would really like to use this!!! :(

Anyway, I was considering picking up a Fluval U3, i do have some real estate inside the tank that I can dedicate to the filter, and it is also a pretty good spot since I can get to it easily for cleaning.

Has anyone used these internal filters in a reef - Are they any good?? Can I throw water ever type of carbon I want in these or does it need to be fluval branded carbon?

Otherwise does anyone have any recomemndations about how to nudge a 40 breeder about 6 inches awayf rom the wall to fit my AC110?

Thanks!!!

andrewguilfoy

While not all carbon is the same, carbon as it's used in the aquarium is. Fluval just markets their carbon in small packs, for simple toss in use to compliment their filters. Simple media bags will work with plain old activated carbon. Personally I would try to use the AC110. Plenty of room for a possible fuge, and chemical media. I would just drain the tank a little, moving what is higher on the rock work to submerged water, and move it. Its not like you're carrying it upstairs?

i was tempted to move the tank a bit - but it looks like its not going to work, if i move the tank out another 5 imches, the floor gets pretty uneven and I will have to level the tank, not sure how to do that with it half full..

I use one of these. I hated the surface scum that would build up with the ac70 so I got this mostly for the surface skimming. The unit comes with 2 long loc-line outputs and has 2 trays inside for media. I removed all the media and just use filter floss to polish the water. For the price it was a simple fix to my issue.

http://www.amazon.com/Subcurrent-Surface-S...r/dp/B0017UCXX4

andrewguilfoy
put the ac110 on the side!

Yeah you could put it on the side lol never thought of that. good idear!

I use one of these. I hated the surface scum that would build up with the ac70 so I got this mostly for the surface skimming. The unit comes with 2 long loc-line outputs and has 2 trays inside for media. I removed all the media and just use filter floss to polish the water. For the price it was a simple fix to my issue.

http://www.amazon.com/Subcurrent-Surface-S...r/dp/B0017UCXX4

That is so neat. My tank is sumpless and that would be perfect to get rid of my surface film. Im probably gonna try one of these. Is the pump hidden inside the overflow?

That is so neat. My tank is sumpless and that would be perfect to get rid of my surface film. Im probably gonna try one of these. Is the pump hidden inside the overflow?

Yeah it's in the bottom of the unit. There is a plate directly above the pump and then another higher up. You can stack whatever media you want inside and it stays separated from the pump. My only complaint is the spacing of the teeth on the overflow are to close together. If the water line drops the pump pumps faster than the teeth will allow water through and it starts to suck air. Removing a few teeth takes care of that.

Archived