inTank Media Baskets

beananimal overflow

iPhone

gonna be doing a beananimal overflow but it wont be coast to coast.its probably going to be about 40" on a 60" long tank.

the tanks glass is 1/2 thick and i was wondering what thickness glass to use to mount overflow internally.

im going to be using a mag 9.5 as a return pump (950) gallons per hour and was wondering what size drain size i need i was thinking 3/4?

not_so_nano

I'd go 1" or bigger 3/4 does not work the best in drain applications.

On average 1" is rated for 700gph max so 1.25" prolly be best.

thanks,i guess il be using 1"

#### though,those 1" union ball values will be expensive!

what about the glass thickness for the overflow box thing

1/4 inch should be fine for an overflow trough.

You only really need one valve if you want to save some money.

1/4 inch should be fine for an overflow trough.

You only really need one valve if you want to save some money.

thanks for the help with thickness of glass.

probably will go with that then!

yeah i was just thinking about it after reading and looking at diagrams and realized only one of the valves needs adjustments

michelleshusband

I recommend gate valve instead of ball valve. From my experience, it is very difficult to tone down ball valve to a certain point where the noise level becomes silent. Time to time, snails get sucked in through full siphon and you have to open and close the valve to release the snail from the ball valve and this happened frequently.

My DIY overflow box was built with 1/8 acrylic sheet and its very weak. I'm currently running 900 GPH return pump for it and its able to handle the pressure but not sure for how long. I would recommend 1/4 inch as recommended by nibor.

Last advice is to use flex tube for open channel siphon. You can use cheap PVC for rest of the siphons (emergency and full). You can completely silence overflow system by doing it this way.

Hope this helps :) good luck with your overflow.

+1 on the gate valve. Ball valve's just don't have the fine tuning you will need. I used 1/8" glass but my overflow was only 12"'s wide.

check out my main system build. I did the exact same thing. I used 1" bulkheads and I'm running a quiet one 5000 for my return pump. handles the load just fine. and its pretty darn quiet too. only thing I would of done differently is installed a gate valve (which I did) but below that put a union so I can take it apart. right now they are all solid lines to the sump and it has proved troublesome when I had to move the tank. I'm setting up a 125 in the next month or two and will be making these changes.

disaster999

im using a newjet (maxijet utility pump) 6000LPH (1585GPH), a 1" drain and gate valve. handles the flow just fine. the gate valve makes it a lot easier to adjust but not critical in a beananimal drain since the main drain drains the majority of the water and the secondary drain take cares of the rest. you just need to get it close to what the return pump is pumping.

Archived