Top Shelf Aquatics

Superglue a case fan on the lid instead of screws

nwin

Hello, I've got a BioCube 14 and am adding some fans to where the feeder lid is. I am going to install two fans( one on the left side of lid, one on the right). The problem I am running into is how to mount them in place. Screwing them won't work as the lid is pretty thin and only one or two threads would really grab onto the lid portion, so I worry about it vibrating quite a bit.

The option I've thought of is just super gluing the fans onto the lid. Any reason this would be a bad idea?

Here's a picture of what I'm looking at:

m9JaP.jpg

On one side is what the fan will look like, and on the other side, I just traced an outline of the fan and what I plan on doing to the lid (basically just drilling some holes in the lid in a circular manner for some intake vents.

The only other option I can think is getting some bolts and nuts that will match the size and securing the fan that way.

I have a fan in the hood of my BC29 and I just used sticky foam pads; however it just sits 1/4" above my heatsink inside the splash shield so there is no risk if it falls off.

I would consider plastic or stainless bolts through the lid. You could paint them to match (or use a black sharpie!). I wouldn't risk having them fall in the tank.

disaster999

if you need to replace the fan, the superglue would make it quite hard to do so. zip ties or screws would be easier to take off.

Superglue is fine. But if you want to be able to replace the fan...I would get a postage label (one side sticky) and cut it in size of the fan. If you have the sticker between the fan and the hood, you could replace the fan no problem.

jedimasterben
if you need to replace the fan, the superglue would make it quite hard to do so. zip ties or screws would be easier to take off.

Not quite. Superglue is a strong adhesive, but if they use a few dabs of it, it will snap off with a twist, no problem.

• 1 month later...

Archived