• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

nwin

nwin

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Joined 26 Feb 2012

Hello, I've got a BioCube 14 and am adding some fans to where the feeder lid is. I am going to install two fans( one on the left side of lid, one on the right). The problem I am running into is how to mount them in place. Screwing them won't work as the lid is pretty thin and only one or two threads would really grab onto the lid portion, so I worry about it vibrating quite a bit.

The option I've thought of is just super gluing the fans onto the lid. Any reason this would be a bad idea?

Here's a picture of what I'm looking at:

Posted Image

On one side is what the fan will look like, and on the other side, I just traced an outline of the fan and what I plan on doing to the lid (basically just drilling some holes in the lid in a circular manner for some intake vents.

The only other option I can think is getting some bolts and nuts that will match the size and securing the fan that way.

Edited by nwin, 08 April 2012 - 04:23 PM.

Captain Hook

Captain Hook

Nano Reefer

• Banned by Moderators
  • 762 posts
  • Joined 17 Feb 2011
any way to zip tie them? If the glue comes off can they fall in the tank?

MY 55g SPS/LPS holding cell

http://www.nano-reef...s-holding-cell/

GTi

GTi

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,515 posts
  • Joined 14 Sep 2011
  • Michigan
I have a fan in the hood of my BC29 and I just used sticky foam pads; however it just sits 1/4" above my heatsink inside the splash shield so there is no risk if it falls off.

I would consider plastic or stainless bolts through the lid. You could paint them to match (or use a black sharpie!). I wouldn't risk having them fall in the tank.

disaster999

disaster999

dimsum

• Members
  • 6,086 posts
  • Joined 22 Aug 2007
  • Hong Kong
if you need to replace the fan, the superglue would make it quite hard to do so. zip ties or screws would be easier to take off.

cpeterson07

cpeterson07

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Joined 28 Jan 2012
  • Richmond, VA
How about vinyl bolts? Cheap, rustproof, much more secure, and easily removable.

ojyarumaru

ojyarumaru

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 368 posts
  • Joined 26 Mar 2005
  • West Los Angeles
Superglue is fine. But if you want to be able to replace the fan...I would get a postage label (one side sticky) and cut it in size of the fan. If you have the sticker between the fan and the hood, you could replace the fan no problem.

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

LED world domination!

• Premium Members
  • 20,186 posts
  • Joined 18 Jan 2012
  • Okeechobee, FL

if you need to replace the fan, the superglue would make it quite hard to do so. zip ties or screws would be easier to take off.

Not quite. Superglue is a strong adhesive, but if they use a few dabs of it, it will snap off with a twist, no problem.

louy99

louy99

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • Joined 13 Apr 2011
  • Jacksonville FL
The problem I see is moisture getting to the fan and it will break in less than a month

***60g Deep Blue Cube Build***

I cut animals into pieces and glue them to rocks!