ReefCleaners.org

Mp10 problem?

Fluffeh

about once a day, my mp10 will out of nowhere make a very loud and obnoxious noise. i cant really describe it but it doesn't sound good :( I thought these things lasted a long time? I know its been within a year that I got mine and I didn't expect to have to replace it already. i woke up this morning to the noise blasting away and I tried turning it off/on, changing modes, etc... but it didn't stop the noise. finally, the controller blinked RED once and then shut off, and it stopped....

anyone else have something like this happen? the noise is definitely coming from the dry unit. should I contact ecotech? how do they handle warranties? next week will be 1 year since i bought it.

thanks

I will occasionally get a nasty grinding noise from mine

I found that it is always caused by a curious dwarf cerith snail getting sucked in

When it happens it certainly sounds as if it is coming from the dry side but obviously in my case it is a wet side issue

Jason

I will occasionally get a nasty grinding noise from mine

I found that it is always caused by a curious dwarf cerith snail getting sucked in

When it happens it certainly sounds as if it is coming from the dry side but obviously in my case it is a wet side issue

Jason

+1. These little bastarts can't stay away from my MP10.

Did you take apart the wet side and clean it?

Noises are kinda difficult to locate exactly. ;)

no i didnt touch it yet, its working fine right now but im sure it will start up again within a day or two. it is the dry side as it sounds like the motor

why did the controllers lights blink RED before it started working again?

anyone know why RED light blinked on my controller before it started working again?

does ecotech have a warranty?

i just dont have any other powerhead if i have to send this thing in. what a pain ;\

has anyone ever attempted to get their unit fixed under the warranty?

im just not sure what to do at this point. i know it will start making the noise again, but im not sure what is causing it. what would you guys do? I just don't have the money to spend on a new mp10 if this is broke and i dont know what i'd do if i didn't have the mp10 in my tank as i have no extra powerheads.

will they want me to send in my unit so they can look at it? am i just screwed in terms of not having a powerhead?

contacted ecotech this morning, i described my situation and the person recommended that i just sent the unit in for repair to not take any chances. he said that they would get me a brand new dry side within a week or 2....

this is great but im just concerned about running my biocube29 without any powerhead for 1-2 weeks. i have sps/lps/softies and they will only have the flow from the return pump. i do NOT have any powerheads and i dont want to spend the money buying them while my im waiting for the replacement. the person i spoke to from ecotech said i'd be completely fine without any powerhead for that amount of time.

do you guys agree with ecotech that i dont need a powerhead for 1-2 weeks while waiting for the replacement?

chucktdbm321

You'd probably be fine but It is always nice having a spare for mixing water and situations like this. I'm sure you could bum an extra one off a friend or something. Or just buy a cheap ass powerhead online or from a lfs that you can just hang in the tank for some extra circulation while you wait.

Eco tech normally does overnight for returning repairs to you. Also I bet the grinding wasn't the dry side...I bet it was sand in the wet side

Eco tech normally does overnight for returning repairs to you. Also I bet the grinding wasn't the dry side...I bet it was sand in the wet side

no it was the motor in the dry side. if i were to remove the dry side and have it without the wetside, it would still make the noise. that caused the red light to flash on my controller.

and ecotech said that they will return the unit in whatever method i send it to them

.....the red light comes on cause the pump was run separated.....which your not supposed to do lol

.....the red light comes on cause the pump was run separated.....which your not supposed to do lol

ummm.. the ecotech service rep on the phone told me to do it... or do u know more than him? the red light flashed when the unit was in the tank running if you read the first post in this thread

Have the same problem. Ended up being a bearing in the motor. Happened outside of warranty on mine. Still waiting for the unit to be returned from ecotech; basically they sold me a new dryside at a discounted price.

Bummer that the bearing went so fast, but ecotech support was good.

Have the same problem. Ended up being a bearing in the motor. Happened outside of warranty on mine. Still waiting for the unit to be returned from ecotech; basically they sold me a new dryside at a discounted price.

Bummer that the bearing went so fast, but ecotech support was good.

yeah im a bit dissapointed that i'd have issues within a year of purchase. but ecotech does sound like they are going to quickly get me a brand new dryside. luckily i have 2 weeks before my warranty expires :D

Received my repaired mp10, works better than ever. I should have sent it in immediately, as I now realize that something was wrong from the start. The replacement dryside is dead silent. Oh well.

Archived