Cultivated Reef

Innovative Marine Nuvo 16 Protein Skimmers

CaliReef408

CaliReef408

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and new to saltwater, I have been doing tons of research the past couple months and am set on getting the Innovative Marine Nuvo 16 tank. My question to you guys who have the tank or have experience with the tank is which protein skimmers would fit in the back overflow area? and what do you like and dislike about yours? I don't mind paying more for a better skimmer, the only thing that worries me is buying one and having it not fit in the back.

Thanks in advance! and I am excited to be part of the forum.

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and new to saltwater, I have been doing tons of research the past couple months and am set on getting the Innovative Marine Nuvo 16 tank. My question to you guys who have the tank or have experience with the tank is which protein skimmers would fit in the back overflow area? and what do you like and dislike about yours? I don't mind paying more for a better skimmer, the only thing that worries me is buying one and having it not fit in the back.

Thanks in advance! and I am excited to be part of the forum.

I even used Reef Octopus BH 2000 Hang On Back Protein Skimmer By CoralVue skimmer on my 16 Nuvo!

Worked excellent but really big and loud

Reef Octopus

disaster999

i would just do water changes on that size tank. but if you must have one, a deltec MCE300 or a aquac remora would be a nice choice.

i would just do water changes on that size tank. but if you must have one, a deltec MCE300 or a aquac remora would be a nice choice.

Water change are no where near the fun of a new toy!

You can do water changes as my daughter says "Boring" she is 5, or get a cool new toy that you can play with and offset the water change routine! Plus the oxygen exchange with a protein skimmer helps maintain PH levels!

Based on the measurements I could find, I can say that one of my 32mm or 38mm skimmers will fit perfectly in the back section of that tank, with or without the glass sliding mount, and the flow through the 2.83x2.75" square sections would make it right at home. It would stick out from the top of the tank by about 2" depending on what your water level in the tank was.

CaliReef408
You might want to check out the spec sheet of the Nuvo 16 tank and take a look at the dimensions to guide you on your quest.

Thank you sir! I was trying to find that, looks like the skimmer is 3 1/8" x 3 1/8" x 12" and will fit in there, barely though!

disaster999
Water change are no where near the fun of a new toy!

You can do water changes as my daughter says "Boring" she is 5, or get a cool new toy that you can play with and offset the water change routine! Plus the oxygen exchange with a protein skimmer helps maintain PH levels!

haha that is true. everyone would want a new toy.

Thank you sir! I was trying to find that, looks like the skimmer is 3 1/8" x 3 1/8" x 12" and will fit in there, barely though!

Sorry, I'm not entirely sure how you figure that - from what I see, the Nuvo 16 has a back compartment that is 2.75" deep. Are you not planning to stick it in the back compartment? Remember also that the Slim Skim needs some space in front for water to flow into the intake grid.

Salty_Snack

I've been looking for the same thing. The only one that I know of that will fit is the Tunze 9002, but its sensitive to water level change.

I'm just going to try a DIY build.

CaliReef408
Sorry, I'm not entirely sure how you figure that - from what I see, the Nuvo 16 has a back compartment that is 2.75" deep. Are you not planning to stick it in the back compartment? Remember also that the Slim Skim needs some space in front for water to flow into the intake grid.

you are right, looks like It would need to go into the middle, that will be tricky with the pumps there.

you are right, looks like It would need to go into the middle, that will be tricky with the pumps there.

I have this tank and a slim skim sitting in a box in my garage i will try the fit tomorrow and let you know!

Hope you can wait.

Im betting it will fit but I will make sure!

I have this tank and a slim skim sitting in a box in my garage i will try the fit tomorrow and let you know!

Hope you can wait.

Im betting it will fit but I will make sure!

I was totally wrong Slim Skim is not an option!

Your best option is a HOB like I said before I used a Reef Octopus BH 2000 on it and worked great, however my Aqua C nano is a way better fit and works pretty damn WELL!

AC

DSC00638.jpg

RO

DSC00014.jpg

• 8 months later...

Looks like it is only 2.75" between the back two walls.

I've been looking for the same thing. The only one that I know of that will fit is the Tunze 9002, but its sensitive to water level change.

I'm just going to try a DIY build.

I found a little one that works but do not have the make/model here at work. Will try to find it when I get home. But really, water changes are all you need and a five gallon bucket of water is plenty. My changes only take about ten minutes to complete.

• 4 months later...
RicardoPoker

So does anyone know which will be the best skimmer to fit a Nuvo 16?

I have heard bad reviews about the Innovative Marine skimmer so I need another option.

Thanks.

The IM skimmer is a good skimmer. Its takes a couple weeks to break in with micro bubbles. Mines a couple weeks old and just starting to pull some skimmate with not a lot of micro bubbles. Now as soon as u feed or do anything to or in the tank that has to do with water u r going to get some bubbles again for a short period of time.

blizzardscout2

I was going to say that the Innovative Marine desktop skimmer was made to place in the back of that tank. I have it for my Biocube 14 and it has been awesome over the last couple of weeks. It is producing tons of nasty dark skimmate. I say go with it instead of HOB. They are not as streamlined and and the IM skimmer is definitely quieter. Good price too!

i was hunting for a skimmer for this tank as well. although, i heard some mixed reviews on the im desktop skimmer i decided to give it a try. its designed for the tank and many really like it (perhaps the bad reviews come from impatience and improper set up). ordered mine from steve @ intank with the nano-reef discount and can't argue with the price, it should arrive on wednesday and will post then more details.

I just did a 2 gallon water change and cleaned the cup out of my skimmer and bam Microbubbles are back A LOT :( My Pulsing Xania closed up for a bit and my hammer started throwing mucous in the water. I hope I didnt ruin anything... So is the skimmer going to bubble every time I clean the cup or was I only suppose to pour the dirty water out and not clean the tube thing? it was full of like brown liquid poop lol so I cleaned it all???

Please advise :)

blizzardscout2

No, you got to clean the inside of the tube, the larger bubbles wont travel up it very easily to make effective skimming. If you are cleaning the entire tube in the actual skimmer than yes, do not clean that. Only clean the collection cup tube only. You didn't ruin anything, those corals will be fine. I have some micro bubbles at first, but then they go away eventually for the most part (there are a few that get through every once in awhile). You can place your floss down stream from the skimmer to pick them up and that should resolve that issue if you keep having itm, but I dont think you will need to.

Archived