ReefCleaners.org

what in the heck

buckeyes2k7

buckeyes2k7

The sand is four weeks old. I scrubbed the rocks when I changed out the sand at that time as well. Just did a water change yesterday with distilled water. Put new carbon and phosguard in the filter, along with floss. This crap is driving me insane.

IMAG0337.jpg

My water looks brown

Captain Hook

I would go lights out for 2-3 days and cover it with a towel or blanket and do as big of a water change as you can. Diatoms cant grow out of control without light. A big clump of chaeto will help if the diatoms are due to high phosphate. You can probably get some really cheap from the LFS or free from somebody in your local area, however if its silicates thats feeding the diatoms you are gonna have to ride it out. Most new sand releases silicates and thats where the problem comes from. Diatoms main fuel is phosphates, silicates, and light.

buckeyes2k7

I noticed with lights out for a few days it cleared up some, but after one full day of lights on, they were back.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had my tank set up now for about 3 months so and couldn't get rid of that crap. Turned the light off for 3 days. Boom problem solved. Hopefully it won't come back.

Archived