ReefCleaners.org

do all clowns pair up?

nic876

Hi all,

just a quick question im curious about. i had two ocellaris clowns who became an obvious pair, swam together, they had a little cave they seemed to protect together, they would twitch at each other etc.the male was also very protective and would nip at my hand when i went to clean the tank.

then during an unfortunate jumping accident, the female was left without her mate :( she looked lost, seemingy quite panicked like she was looking for him! so i got her a new mate, clearly smaller to make sure he remained male. and maybe 6 months later they get on...ok.

they sometimes swim together but dont seem reet bothered if they are apart. no twitching, sharing of a special spot in the tank! and he's not at all protective. so im wondering, do all clowns pair or could these two just want to stay "friends"!

thanks for any info!

Grumblecakes

i would think yes and no. i had a clown die when she tried to save the anemone from the powerhead. The male that was left looked pretty distraught as they pretty much never separated. Its been like 4 months and they get along ok but they dont seem to have bonded like the one before. They will some times sleep in the same spot and sometimes each in a different one. Im hoping its just a matter of time. The replacement is also 2x the size of the one i still have

Aww how sad! they do sometimes sleep together but they havent been at all like the last pair. when she starts doing the shakey shakey at him il know they're a true pair! :)

Just makes me wonder what it is that makes them decide they dont want to mate up with another like they have before, whether its that he's not mature enough, or if she's still waiting for the other male or if she simply doesnt want to lol. who knows.

altolamprologus

How big is the tank? Just because a clown is smaller doesn't in any way mean it's a male. Sex change doesn't work like that. If the tank is big enough, you may have two females coexisting. That said, sometimes it takes awhile for clowns to pair. And sometimes they don't really show typical signs of being a pair. As long as they're getting along, what's the problem?

How big is the tank? Just because a clown is smaller doesn't in any way mean it's a male. Sex change doesn't work like that. If the tank is big enough, you may have two females coexisting. That said, sometimes it takes awhile for clowns to pair. And sometimes they don't really show typical signs of being a pair. As long as they're getting along, what's the problem?

theres no problem lol i was only curious!

Archived