Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Slightly Different EcoPico

tmhasara

I just set up a new EcoPico and wanted to share. I'm going to try something different with this one. Bare bottom, no heater, and no filter. The sand always seemed to be the dirtiest and thus ugliest part of my last tank, so I'm going to try going without on this one. We also keep our downstairs around 77 degrees here in FL, so I think I'll be fine without a heater in the summer months, just for simplicity's sake. I'm also going with pure biological filtration, again for simplicity's sake and to keep a sleek look to the tank. At most, I'll order one of Vortech's filters for my MP10.

DSC_0030-1.jpg

Setup

Ecoxotic EcoPico

Three "50/50" Ecoxotic LED Strips

Two Full Actinic Ecoxotic Strips

Vortech MP10

Filtration

Cured LR

Halimeda (Removed)

Chaeto

Livestock

Picasso Clown

Blue Neon Goby

Sexy Shrimp

Anemone Crab

Corals

Ricordia

Rhodactis

Dendro (Died)

Zoas

Blasto

GSP

Acans

Mushrooms

Hammer

It's been set up for a few days now and so far so good. I'll keep this updated.

How do the strip lights attach to the fixture? Can you remove them and switch them around if you wanted to?

It's just double sided tape, but it's very strong. Yeah, you could definitely remove them, but the tape may not be sticky enough to be reused.

The dendro is pissed for some reason and not open, so I'll snap a pic when he's better.

I redid the rock scape and added a bi-color hammer that I was hoping the clown would host.

DSC_0032.jpg

It's just double sided tape, but it's very strong. Yeah, you could definitely remove them, but the tape may not be sticky enough to be reused.

The dendro is pissed for some reason and not open, so I'll snap a pic when he's better.

I redid the rock scape and added a bi-color hammer that I was hoping the clown would host.

DSC_0032.jpg

I had a clown that hosted a frogspawn and the frogspawn was constantly stinging the clown to the point where it was completely marked up. It definitely ruined the look of the clown.

I had a clown that hosted a frogspawn and the frogspawn was constantly stinging the clown to the point where it was completely marked up. It definitely ruined the look of the clown.

That's really odd. I bought the hammer because I lost a frogspawn that my clown hosted for months.

How are the corals responding to just the 3 strips of the leds? Does is give off a 14k look? I'm thinking of doing two of the all blue strips with one of the white/blue strips.

How are the corals responding to just the 3 strips of the leds? Does is give off a 14k look? I'm thinking of doing two of the all blue strips with one of the white/blue strips.

It's hard to say. They are open and seem completely happy, but they've been in there less than a week. I'm sure they'll be fine, I'm just not sure if they will be enough to generate decent growth. I think I'm going to pick up two more strips.

I don't know what 14k looks like, but I'm happy with this setup in that it provides a "clean" white look with a tinge of actinic to make certain corals pop.

My LFS has a setup identical to what you are describing, two blue's and one 50/50. Here's a pic-

fda12fab.jpg

I swung by my LFS hoping to get one blue strip and one 50 / 50, but all he had were blues, so I got two of them. I was able to slightly modify each strip so that five strips can be fitted to the arm with zero overhang. I'll post pic tomorrow.

In order to get five LED strips to fit without hanging off at all, you have to sand or Dremel down the back black portion of the strip which is wider than the rest of it, I'll call that the "base". The metal strip the LED's are mounted to runs the length of the unit, so there isn't any need to Dremel down the base so that it is any thinner than the rest; five will fit so long as the wider portion of the bases are removed.

If you happen to take off so much that you can see the metal strip, I might suggest using some gel superglue to ensure it's water tight.

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a new video-

Would it be dangerous to not use the lid as far as my clown jumping out?

Archived