Top Shelf Aquatics

T5s and SPS?

lagunastudio

lagunastudio

I am currently running a 30" quad t5 fixture with 2 10k white and 2 actinic - total of 124 watts. My tank is 18"s deep, 29 gallon - 4.27 watts per gallon. My SPS corals are fairly new and seem to be doing well. I have great polyp extension and am seeing some signs of growth - white tips and points growing out of broken branches. But I'm not sure how to gage the growth rate, it seems very slow. I wasn't planning on getting into sps when I purchased this fixture and am now kind of regretting it. Does anyone have experience keeping sps with a quad t5 lights? I'm starting to think it's enough light to keep them alive but not enough for them to grow that much.

The first thing we want to know are your parameters. Next we would like to know what sps you got?

lagunastudio

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 5-10

calcium 450

kh 170

phosphate -.10

I'm not sure about magnesium, I don't have a test kit for that yet.

I'm putting some pictures up because I'm not sure about a few of the names. My tank is still pretty new ha I feel like I'm lifting my skirt posting this photos.. I don't know I have birds of paradise, pink birds nest, green purple rim cap, I'm not sure what the pink coral is on the far left I think another type of bird's nest. The pink bird's nest was badly damaged on the trip over here it wasn't the best colony / frag I think he removed it from his coral because it had some RTN but it has been coloring back up and the tips are not bleached anymore. I thought it was going to die but it's looking better.

1-3.jpg

3-1.jpg

2-3.jpg

Sps are able to thrive under t5's.alot of people under estimate t5's.

But lighting isn't a key role for SPS,it's water params...you can have mh and never grow SPS if your params suck.

Also make sure you go with some good bulbs like ati or giesemann.

C.I._Reefer
Sps are able to thrive under t5's.alot of people under estimate t5's.

But lighting isn't a key role for SPS,it's water params...you can have mh and never grow SPS if your params suck.

Also make sure you go with some good bulbs like ati or giesemann.

^ this

lagunastudio

I have a 30" fixture, I haven't been able to find any ATI or giesemann bulbs in this size? They're all 24" then 36" but no 31 watt 30".

lagunastudio

fuuug..just my luck. so do most people buy 24" fixtures for 30" long aquariums? Seems like the light wouldn't hit the sides. is there an extreme difference between ATI / coralife, is coralife like the huffy of aquarium gear?

Very nice SPS. The hot pink coral on the left is pink stylopora. If you are able to maintain that color that would be awesome, usually the pinks are difficult without proper lights.

As other posters have said, params are important. You seem to have enough light, if you ever feel you need more you can supplement with LEDs but T5s are good lights. SPS do need to be at the top. Another option is to add more rocks to raise the height.

lagunastudio

Thanks. I've had the cat's paw for over a week and the color hasn't changed. It seems to be moody though, any slight change and the polyps sink back. What color do they normally change to and how long would that take?

with proper bulbs you wont need supplementation.

if you're running a 4 bulb i would suggest ATI 3 blue+ and 1 purple + if youre looking for a 20k look.

the blue+ give off great par and the purple+ is a full spectrum bulb so you get the nice reds to pop.

nice purple rim cap btw

lagunastudio

I can't replace the bulbs with anything other than coralife. I made the mistake of buying the 30" fixture that fits my 30" long aquarium.. Nobody makes 30" bulbs except CL.. So trying to figure out other options or might sell this and buy another fixture donno.

u can get a 24" aTI fixture, comes in 4-6-8 bulb configuration

if you like LEDs, the SOL unit is a nice fixture

Some SPS even grow well under mere T8's. B)

This was my monti before my tank crash some years back under 3x 15w T8's.

montigrowth1.png

I can't replace the bulbs with anything other than coralife. I made the mistake of buying the 30" fixture that fits my 30" long aquarium.. Nobody makes 30" bulbs except CL.. So trying to figure out other options or might sell this and buy another fixture donno.

im sure the bulbs are 24"

the fixture may be 30" buy the bulbs are probably 24w 24"

u can get a 24" aTI fixture, comes in 4-6-8 bulb configuration

if you like LEDs, the SOL unit is a nice fixture

+1 I would recommend investing in a better fixture thats allows you to utilize all of the great bulbs out there. These bulbs have better PAR and better spectrum which will contribute to better SPS growth and coloration.

lagunastudio

I think the bulbs in the 30" lunar aqualite are 30" 31 watt. I'll probably just go with this for several months and confirm I'm not getting any growth. I haven't had the corals long enough to tell now. I bought my first sps about a month ago and am already seeing some growth. I'm guessing acclimation will slow the growth a bit and after a few months growth will start picking up. I can't afford to drop 6-700 on one of those ATI fixtures right now.

Depending on the ballast, you could always retro the fixture. Buy some water tight end caps and reduce from 30" to 24" lamps. Would save you a lot of cash & would be an easy DYI

Depending on the ballast, you could always retro the fixture. Buy some water tight end caps and reduce from 30" to 24" lamps. Would save you a lot of cash & would be an easy DYI

or just move the stock ones in the fixture....

Grumblecakes

you could probably move the ends closer together. many ballasts (especially electronic) work with a fairly wide range of bulbs, usually a ballast will be labeled with the bulb wattage it will work with.

shorter isnt bad either if you either stagger the bulbs or center them it leaves enough light on the edges of the tank to stick stuff that may not like alot of light. if your like me and have your equipment in the back corners the lack of light also draws your attention toward the center.

you could probably move the ends closer together. many ballasts (especially electronic) work with a fairly wide range of bulbs, usually a ballast will be labeled with the bulb wattage it will work with.

shorter isnt bad either if you either stagger the bulbs or center them it leaves enough light on the edges of the tank to stick stuff that may not like alot of light. if your like me and have your equipment in the back corners the lack of light also draws your attention toward the center.

I'm sure that they are electronic ballasts, however they need to be HO capable if he wants to run ATI's or Giessmans. I'm not sure if a standard t5 ballast is going to run a 24" 24w HO lamp. Either way for a $100 120$ w/ ballast + lamps it could easily be done. Like cakes said check the ballasts for lamp ratings and you'll have a better idea what your options are.

metrokat can you give me some ideas for supplemental LED lighting?

I've supplemented my T5's with Ecoxotic panorama PRO lights. $89 a pop.

Don't confuse them with stunner strips which cost $49.

Archived