Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New birdnest, something is up.

boxboy

Yesterday I got a noen green birdsnest frag. Dipped it with coral rx. acclimated correctly. it was in tank about 6hrs when I took this photo. when lights where off. just moon lights.

Looks ok to me in this pic.

2012-04-07183544.jpg

At 10am today I took this pic.

2012-04-08110656.jpg

See the missing polyps? Any idea on what may have caused this?

If they did not get eaten, this is RTN and will destroy the entire frag In a couple of days. Frag the good pieces 1/8" above/below the dead white area and DO NOT do it over your tank. Do it over a tupperware container so the pieces with RTN don't end up back in your tank. It is usually better to do this sooner than later.

If that area is completely white with no polyps, it's RTN. Part of this hobby...

just did a 2g water change. Should I leave it till tomorrw? and if its not getting better. just frag whaTs left?

Water change will not help RTN. If you have a QT tank and can move it there, great. If not, wait for a bit and if it's getting worse, frag ASAP. Corals with RTN never improve.

Water change will not help RTN. If you have a QT tank and can move it there, great. If not, wait for a bit and if it's getting worse, frag ASAP. Corals with RTN never improve.

:( Is RTN a illness? or its only due to water quality? so far its only affected 1 sps frag. the other frag is fine. not next to eachother.

RTN - Rapid Tissue Necrosis. Also happens to humans after surgeries.

I don't believe it is water quality related. I had a huge birdsnest that was doing fine for a week. 2 days later it was gone and all i could save was 3 1" pieces, while 4 other birdsnests are totally fine. I've read that it also happened to corals that have been sitting in well established tanks for a loooong time.

2012-04-08133646-1.jpg

2012-04-08133806.jpg

2012-04-08133743.jpg

I just did the frag. Does it look like a clean cut? I made sure to remove all the dead parts and some of the living. just to sure its all gone. I did the.frag over a small bucket. The tank I get my corals. is very diff from mine. he runs MH lights. 280 tank.tons of corals n fish. he tank is amazing clean. here is the frag I paid for in his tank.

7148il9_20.jpg

last pic is the tank I get my frags from. very clean and high tec. maybe the diff between his and my tank are soo diff its causeing issues?

After some hours the frag now looks alot better. polyps fully extended. I changed the flow. so its getting a nixe med soft flow. Thank you all for ur advice.

Np! glad its doing OK. Birdsnests are fine with high flow, as long as you don't have a powerhead blowing at it directly.

Btw, that is a nice frag tank. Damn. I would leave sooooooo much money at that place. heh

Btw, that is a nice frag tank. Damn. I would leave sooooooo much money at that place. heh

Haha yeah man. His stuff is great. Im always broke when I leave there lol

Archived