Coral Vue Hydros

Highlighter maxi-minis Vs. bleached

~LadyBug~

I'm curious, I've been perusing the show-off thread and saw a couple of people referring to 'highlighter' maxi-minis in the context that they weren't bleached, that was just their natural coloration. I'm getting one next week, and the store I'm buying from had one in stock last week that was pale lime green, which I figured was unhealthy for some reason. So I got to wondering, and I thought I'd ask and see if anyone could explain how the carpet experts tell the difference between the highlighter nems and a bleached nem?

Bongo Shrimp

Those kind are bleached. I was at a swap and a vendor had a bunch like that and I told hi they were bleached and he said I didn't know what I was talking about. Little did he know what an idiot he looked like...

Good to know I can still trust my gut. These guys seem pretty much indestructible, I wonder how stressed they have to be to bleach :huh:

Bongo Shrimp
Good to know I can still trust my gut. These guys seem pretty much indestructible, I wonder how stressed they have to be to bleach :huh:

Well at the swap I was at they were in a little flower vase with no flow under a MH...

Oh but the guy said thats how they always look in their tanks. (as if thats supposed to mean it's normal and I should trust it)

Well at the swap I was at they were in a little flower vase with no flow under a MH...

Oh but the guy said thats how they always look in their tanks. (as if thats supposed to mean it's normal and I should trust it)

Wow :mellow: . And at the same time, LOL. I'm always very skeptical of anyone wanting my money, I go in assuming they know nothing(unless I've heard from multiple people that they know their stuff) until they prove otherwise :P

Captain Hook
Wow :mellow: . And at the same time, LOL. I'm always very skeptical of anyone wanting my money, I go in assuming they know nothing(unless I've heard from multiple people that they know their stuff) until they prove otherwise :P

They know quite a bit actually....so much that they know how to screw your tank over. They sell you one product that creates a problem and than 2 weeks later they sell you the 'solution'. Skepticism is best, as they are pretty crafty in their stupid a$$ed explainations to begginers.

• 3 weeks later...

You know, I found a 'highlighter blue' maxi mini at my LFS and the girl there insisted it wasn't bleached. So I bought it thinking oh well, even if it is bleached it should color up nicely. It's been in my tank for a year now and has only gotten slightly darker.

Before:

5794380693_a0653d11bb_z.jpg

Now:

6727249457_3382f6d7b6_z.jpg

Either way, it looks pretty neat :)

Slightly? That certainly looks like a transition from bleached to normal coloration. Whites don't seem to be a normal color for the species, so if the color is somewhat intense but very light, it's bleaching.

Archived