SaltCritters.com

BTA/Pistol Shrimp Questions

Kfmmartin19

Kfmmartin19

Hey everyone, I have a BC29 with LEDs and am wondering if a BTA to host my Ocellaris and/or a goby/pistol shrimp pair would be a good fit for my. For the pistol shrimp I am most concerned about it killing my skunk cleaner shrimp, hermits, and snails. How much of a concern should this be if I get the small Candycane Pistol Shrimp? I currently have an LTA that has grown to be about a foot long and is taking up the entire top right corner of my tank. I am going to get rid of it and am considering replacing it with a BTA. Will a BTA get as large as my LTA? I know that people say its maximum size is 12 inches but does it generally always get this large? Is an RBTA any smaller or larger full-grown than a GBTA? What do u guys think about either of these in my tank (BTA or Pistol)? I will post any other questions I think of. Thanks!

BustytheSnowMaam

I don't know about the anemones, but you can mix a pistol shrimp with a cleaner shrimp without any problems. The pistols that form a relationship with gobies will not harm any snails or hermits either.

If you get a pistol/goby pair, make sure you have a tight lid because the goby will jump out otherwise. They will inevitably escape from even the tiniest opening.

jedimasterben
Hey everyone, I have a BC29 with LEDs and am wondering if a BTA to host my Ocellaris and/or a goby/pistol shrimp pair would be a good fit for my. For the pistol shrimp I am most concerned about it killing my skunk cleaner shrimp, hermits, and snails. How much of a concern should this be if I get the small Candycane Pistol Shrimp? I currently have an LTA that has grown to be about a foot long and is taking up the entire top right corner of my tank. I am going to get rid of it and am considering replacing it with a BTA. Will a BTA get as large as my LTA? I know that people say its maximum size is 12 inches but does it generally always get this large? Is an RBTA any smaller or larger full-grown than a GBTA? What do u guys think about either of these in my tank (BTA or Pistol)? I will post any other questions I think of. Thanks!

A pistol shrimpie shouldn't hurt anything else. I've got peppermint shrimp, a fire shrimp, tons of sexy shrimp, and two or three pom pom crabs and he doesn't touch them.

Yes, BTAs can get quite large, 18" in some cases. They do not grow quickly unless you feed them a lot. I feed mysis when the tank gets fed every couple of days, and once a week they get a chunk of silverside.

The only difference between an RBTA and a normal BTA is the color. Genetically they are identical.

Both would be fine IMO.

I don't know about the anemones, but you can mix a pistol shrimp with a cleaner shrimp without any problems. The pistols that form a relationship with gobies will not harm any snails or hermits either.

If you get a pistol/goby pair, make sure you have a tight lid because the goby will jump out otherwise. They will inevitably escape from even the tiniest opening.

Good advice, they'll jump if they get the chance! Having a tall tank seems to help, though, since they are bottom dwellers.

Can a pistol shrimp crack or damage the tank or equipment? They have pretty powerful punches, (in scaled down form).

Just wondering.

Can a pistol shrimp crack or damage the tank or equipment? They have pretty powerful punches, (in scaled down form).

Just wondering.

I actually Read a snapple fact about them being able to. This is a lie. In no case has a pistol shrimp ever cracked any glass with its snap.

jedimasterben

Just wondering.

a pistol? No. I've seen where a mantis shrimp has broken a tank with very thin glass, but a pistol shrimp doesnt have that kind of power.

Just wondering.

i think you are thinking of a mantis. pistols dont "punch" anything. pistols make a clicking sound which is a air bubble collapsing caused by cavitation from a water jet shot out of there "pistol" claw.

Kfmmartin19

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I was under the impression that there are deep water and shallow water BTAs, the deep water reaching lengths of 20" and shallow water being smaller. Is this true? If u had to guess, how long would it take a BTA to get to a foot long from say, 3-4 inches if it is fed 1-2 a week? Do they always reach a foot or is that the ultimate maximum length? What is a common full-grown size? Also, idk if u guys are familiar with them but how much of a risk would one be with a Biocube Powerhead? Do I need to do something special with the powerhead? My LTA has been rubbing up against the powerhead for about 6 months and has never had a problem. More info on pistol would be good too. Thanks!

Archived