Top Shelf Aquatics

Patricks Third Monitor

prdoring

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Might wanna think about making a cave and using that flat piece as the roof. Fish love caves and it's a good shelf for corals

Tried this last night... It added a bit too much darkness in the tank (And GF didn't like it XD) So I'm sticking with this one for now...

altolamprologus
OK Did my first water test tonight... the results are strange.

PH : 8.0

Amonia : 0

Nitrite : 0

Nitrate : 20ppm

Why is my tank reading like it is cycled? Its way to early for this reading... any ideas?

Did you buy cured rock? If so, it's expected to see those readings.

Did you buy cured rock? If so, it's expected to see those readings.

Its from my LFS and there is very little smell. So I am assuming it is cured or at-least semi cured. If it is cured, when can I expect algae bloom and add cuc?

altolamprologus
Its from my LFS and there is very little smell. So I am assuming it is cured or at-least semi cured. If it is cured, when can I expect algae bloom and add cuc?

Algae blooms are a result of excess nutrients from the cycle so I wouldn't be expecting it. You will still see a little bit of diatoms, but probably nothing major. If your params stay the same for the next few days, do a 50% water change then get your cuc on the weekend.

Ok Test #2

PH: 8.0

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 20ppm

Algae blooms are a result of excess nutrients from the cycle so I wouldn't be expecting it. You will still see a little bit of diatoms, but probably nothing major. If your params stay the same for the next few days, do a 50% water change then get your cuc on the weekend.

AWESOME! Super pumped... and I thought I would have to flex my patience muscles...

Well my tests are holding strong at 0-0-20 so I ordered my cuc and some chaeto from reef cleaners.

I got their 15g quick crew and I will do a 50% h2o change when they get here. Also started work on my media rack for chamber 2 so I will post pics when done.

I also posted this on my identification thread but I thought I should post this here as well. Anyone have any idea?

Ok time for a new one... I found this little guy while imploding some aiptasia.

In person this is a bright pink/orangeish and is quite small... hence the kindof rough pictures. As far as behavior goes, I did not do much when I poked it with the edge of my baster.

IMGP0135.jpg

IMGP0132.jpg

IMGP0127.jpg

Ok so when I got home today it seemed as though it was all stretched towards the light... Then awhile after the lights went out it was more closed in on itself in a little ball... Does that provide any insight?

altolamprologus
Ok so when I got home today it seemed as though it was all stretched towards the light... Then awhile after the lights went out it was more closed in on itself in a little ball... Does that provide any insight?

Well that's odd. Can you get a pic with flash of it with the lights out?

Well that's odd. Can you get a pic with flash of it with the lights out?

Yes I will try to get a shot of it open, and closed this evening.

Welp... Got home tonight and it was gone... poof... nowhere to be seen...

but I found another new critter moving around shortly after I turned off my lights... any idea?... it is quite fast for somthing with a slug like appearance, and almost see through. About as long as the width of a baster nozzle... maybe smaller.

IMGP0144.jpg

IMGP0145.jpg

The white part on the bottom seemed to be its head, feeling about and leading its way.

Edit: I am thinking it may be an Amphiscolops which if it is is harmless and cool. :) think it could be any other type of flatworm?

altolamprologus

That's weird it disappeared. Snap some pics if it ever re-appears

You nailed that ID. Indeed it is harmless.

Order from John at reef-cleaners just arrived at the office! Cant Wait to get home and get these guys in the tank. Pictures will follow, highlighting Johns excellent counting skills :P

EDIT: The pics were too huge and making the forum run slow, so I changed to strait links!

OK Sorry It has been so long since last update... Crunch got escalated at work so 70hr weeks ahoy! :) Needless to say I haven't had much time to post about my tanks progress.

Snails!

So last wednsday I added my order from reefcleaners.org (Thanks John!) You can see below the modest and humble amount of snails sent my way.

Fuge

I created my media basket out of eggcrate and courogated plastic, unfortunately my camera was dead and I didn't take any pictures during construction. I also rigged up an Ikea dioder strip light for my fuge. The chaeto seems to like it. And I added chemipure/purigen to start scrubbing the water.

Parameters

My ammonia and nitrites are holding firm at 0, and I got my nitrates down to 7 with water changes. PH holding firm at 8.0.

First Noob Mistake

Before adding clean-up crew, I got my refractometer. I read the wrong side of the meter and proceded to dilute my water down to 1.018 salinity. Through water changes and toping with sw I managed to get up to 1.021

Scape

I have been messing with the scape a bit, trying to add more platforms for coral. Tell me what you think.

Mysterious Pink thing

Its back! and I got a decent shot of it, any ideas?

Pictures

Snails!

Fuge!

Scape!

Mysterious Pink Thing!

Welp CUC has been in for a week and a half, and I have been testing at 0-0-5 so today I got my first fish!

But first, I need to show my filter feeders some love.

IMGP0171.jpg

Snail Barnacle!

IMGP0168.jpg

My Most Badass Featerduster

And here is my first marine fish!

I am yet to name it as my girlfriend away this weekend, expect a name when she gets back!

IMGP0177.jpg

IMGP0181.jpg

altolamprologus
So does anyone have any special advice for firefish?

Keep the lid on at all times. Don't even walk away with the feeding lid up. And if you don't have one already, get and InTank fish saver. It'll keep the firefish out of the back chambers.

Archived