Cultivated Reef

Rare Unknown?

Builder Anthony

Builder Anthony

I never ever seen these before are they rare or unknown because i want to name them.

Evening Tide Comets

Picture018.jpg

The Gold Dust doesn't match?

I agree, it doesn't match exactly. They're pretty similar. Maybe it's just a morph, not an actual "brand name" zoa...

There are TONS of these zoas/palys hitting the market lately. Mr Coral has had a boatload of these lately. They areall wild caught and these will end up melting on you around the 3 month mark.

Builder Anthony

i did look real close none of those have blue on the tenecales but i do see a pattern that macthes on the tenecale but the colors dont seem the same to me.This one has yellow specks and blue tenecales.I dont know i just look at them and they dont look the same.If you look real close in my picture the center may be developing blue also in the greyesh spot but that s more noticeable in person.Ill look again though.I do think they have some very similiar growth on the tenecales but not the same colors.

Picture062.jpg

Picture063.jpg

Picture061.jpg

There are TONS of these zoas/palys hitting the market lately. Mr Coral has had a boatload of these lately. They areall wild caught and these will end up melting on you around the 3 month mark.

Are you saying that you know for a fact that they are all wild caught? And this is the reason they will end up melting at around 3 months? I can grasp the thought behind wild caught zoas not being compatible with the params and flow of a home aquarium. There sure would be a lot of loss then if we were to buy wild caught zoas from other vendors as well. I can name quite a few vendors who distribute wild caught zoas, and the ones that I have, are still doing pretty good. That includes Mr Coral.

I think if a wild caught zoa is going to react to the change of environment, it's going to happen within the first month. I could be wrong.

No I am not saying that all wild caught zoas or palys tend to melt because all zoas were wild caught at one time. The one he posted with those specks come along every few years in swarms. If you look at the pattern there are tons of them out right now that have hit retailers. They all have the pattern of the soprano paly. Last time a batch like these hit was 2 years ago and tons of people were reporting they melted for no reason. Not sure why but these patterns and palys do not make it much past the 3 month mark.

To answer your question yes I know for a fact that these recent palys that are hitting the market were ALL wild caught. The paly the OP posted was wild caught as well. He may want to argue the point but I guarantee that paly was wild caught in the last 3 months. I have been around long enough to know my zoas and palys. None of these recent palys with these patterns were aquacultured I promise you.

There is always a reason when something dies.

You would think there is. But these palys over time just wither away. One day they look good then they start opening less and eventually they are gone. Most zoas or palys get a fungus then they slowly die. I have had these before and have done different dips to keep them with no luck.

Builder Anthony

well i dont really care about all that lol i just want to know if anyones seen it before thats all :)

Picture018.jpg

Archived