4 replies to this topic

james1990

james1990

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • Joined 21 Mar 2012
  • Long Island NY

So I just put together my first 1/2 inch PVC overflow using a video on youtube. It came out great but during testing it wasnt keeping a suction and stopped draining the main tank. Even though I think this is from air leaks from the overflow not being glued yet, I am worried one day my tank will overflow.

How reliable are these things? im getting nervous to put it in my tank

this is the video i used,

ajmckay

ajmckay

Wrasses McGee

• Members
  • 4,270 posts
  • Joined 30 Oct 2008
  • Sterling Heights, Michigan
I can't see the video (@ work) but in general relying on a siphon is a bad idea.. What do you mean "stopped draining the main tank"?

A siphon isn't necessary and the overflow should still be working fine... If it's not then there's something wrong (maybe the return pump is too powerful?)

If you're at all concerned set up a herbie drain... As long as it's set up correctly then the chances of an overflow are extremely low.

Grumblecakes

Grumblecakes

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 411 posts
  • Joined 11 Oct 2011
  • SW Montana
if i was going to build a pvc overflow i would do something more like this:
http://www.monsterfi...-Ver-9999/page2

bizzarro

bizzarro

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Joined 30 Jan 2009
  • Northern NJ
That's a good idea. the larger pipe acts like the boxes for those standard overflow.

Edited by bizzarro, 06 April 2012 - 04:01 PM.

SCreefer

SCreefer

reef it

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 07 Apr 2012
  • Santa Cruz, CA
In my experience the key factor to using a overflow is to make sure the overflow is sized correctly to the flow your running. Obviously you will have your tank overflow if your running more flow than your overflow can handle, but the thing that most people don't think about is that you will have bubbles get trapped inside your U-tube if your running your overflow to slow. This will cause the overflow to fail eventually and you will not know when. There is not much to worry about if you run correct flow.
I like this style, but regardless of the style you pick the best thing about this one is that he drilled the U-tube section and put a check valve in it, so it's very easy to get it started and if your ever worried about air bubbles in your U-tube you can just suck a little water out and make sure there is no air in the U-tube.
http://www.angelfire...IYoverflow.html

Edited by SCreefer, 08 April 2012 - 06:34 AM.