Cultivated Reef

2x MP10 or 1x MP40 48x24x12

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Help. :)

Ok, here are some rough sketchings of the proposed tank layout. I tried to get everything to scale as much as possible. This tank will have SPS on two larger rocks, with lots of LPS and softies (probably all zoas) thrown into the mix, with the big rocks pretty much blocking the flow some.

Sorry for the ginormous images.

le top view

fragtanktopside.jpg

le front view

fragtankfrontside.jpg

I can get an MP40wES here on the forum for $315-340 shipped, or two MP10wES for $450+ shipped, so I'd much rather go with a single MP40 for my wallet's sake (and my wife probably won't want to hear how much any of it costs lol).

EDIT: THIS TANK WILL HAVE A 1" SANDBED OF VERY FINE TAHITIAN MOON SAND

I have the same size tank. I can't use MP10s (acrylic os too thick), but even if I could, I worry that they would have to be turned down low to prevent a sand storm. If you are going to use them, it will have to be 2 at low speed, unless you are going BB.

Sand is Tahtian Moon Sand, very fine grain, BB is not an option.

Honestly, that's a tough sand choice for such a shallow tank. I'd skip the MP10s and try more, less pwerful powerheads. I have some Tunze 6015s, which are pretty good because you can angle the flow up, but I think they'll move your sand.

EDIT: Add a tank link, so I can follow along.

1fishmonger

I'd still go with the MP10's...Adding a bunch of pumps to your tank is an eye sore ;) You may get a little sand movement at first but things should settle eventually. Dial them down to a point that lessens the sandstorms and put them 2" from the water's surface. A good speed would be just under the speed that causes air to get sucked into the pump.

jedimasterben
I have the same size tank. I can't use MP10s (acrylic os too thick), but even if I could, I worry that they would have to be turned down low to prevent a sand storm. If you are going to use them, it will have to be 2 at low speed, unless you are going BB.

My tank will be glass, so it'll be just the right thickness for either.

Honestly, that's a tough sand choice for such a shallow tank. I'd skip the MP10s and try more, less pwerful powerheads. I have some Tunze 6015s, which are pretty good because you can angle the flow up, but I think they'll move your sand.

EDIT: Add a tank link, so I can follow along.

Having four+ powerheads with wires running everywhere was driving me nuts, as the tank will be rimless.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=298921 :)

I really like the two mp10's idea, never had a 40, what about two 20's?

They don't sell MP20 anymore, but if you can find a place that has them, let me know, what I have seen is that they are less than MP10s used.

I'd still go with the MP10's...Adding a bunch of pumps to your tank is an eye sore ;) You may get a little sand movement at first but things should settle eventually. Dial them down to a point that lessens the sandstorms and put them 2" from the water's surface. A good speed would be just under the speed that causes air to get sucked into the pump.

I can probably add a small piece of plastic to the top of the PH to keep it from sucking air down into it.

2x MP40w :)

Yeah, definitely don't have that kind of budget. lol

Unless, of course, you're willing to donate to the cause!

1fishmonger

What I was suggesting with the air getting sucked down is that .. The power level of the Vortech that no longer sucks in air is likely a good power level that won't blow your sand around too much. You'll want the MP10s as high as possible. FWIW, I have a similarly sized tank....;)

Mp40's on that tank would be hideous.

jedimasterben
I missed that it's a frag tank. Get the sand out of there! :D

Yeah, I'll pass. I've never, ever, ever seen a BB tank that looked nice or natural.

Yeah, I'll pass. I've never, ever, ever seen a BB tank that looked nice or natural.

You know what doesn't look natural? The glass box holding all your corals and fish. Haha just saying.

If it's a frag, not display tank then this shouldn't be an issue. You do stuff for the corals, not because it necessarily looks good. Frag racks don't look natural.

jedimasterben

It's not a frag tank for frags, the tank itself is a "frag" tank. Guess I should have also mentioned that in the OP lol.

Archived