Innovative Marine Aquariums

how often should i feed my fish?

randythefishdude

randythefishdude

i have 1 damsil figi electric blue cant find it any where but it is yellow brown with 2 black spots and neon blue around them...some type of cinomin clown white stripe seems unusually blue...and a half black chromis

Little and often. I feed 2 or 3 times a day. Most small reef fish are almost constant feeders that is they are constantly looking for food and eating as and when they can picking from the water column or substrate.

hmmm mabe ill try 2-3 small meals every other day

But just enough that can be eaten in approx 30seconds or so at each feed. Little and often means you should not over feed that way.

HecticDialectics
But just enough that can be eaten in approx 30seconds or so at each feed. Little and often means you should not over feed that way.

Knowing how much to actually feed each time is the key no matter the frequency IMO. How often doesn't answer that. Gotta figure it out for your tank.

Knowing how much to actually feed each time is the key no matter the frequency IMO. How often doesn't answer that. Gotta figure it out for your tank.

I did say enough that will be eaten in approx 30seconds. I am sure he can work that out with a little practice. However its not an exact science but you have to start somewhere right?

HecticDialectics
I did say enough that will be eaten in approx 30seconds. I am sure he can work that out with a little practice. However its not an exact science but you have to start somewhere right?

Yup, I was just expanding on your post.

Yup, I was just expanding on your post.

Sorry I misread your post. Yeah its just a datum point but won't be far off plus a healthy tank will most likely provide some food from the pods etc in it in-between feeds.

Yep, amount fed per day is much more important than how often you feed (ignoring the extremes of course, you can't dump 1 years worth of food in then ignore the tank for a year). If they aren't eating it all, then feed less.

Archived