Cultivated Reef

Elos 120 Build

WrongGenotype

WrongGenotype

After setting up my biocube 29 I decided to take the plunge and get a larger tank. Never did a journal for my BC29 and regret it so here I am.
Picked up an Elos120 that was already up and running from a guy in the area. The tank itself is in great condition, no scratches, but the liverock/livesand is a disaster, terrible case of hair algae and seems to have been neglected for quite some time. I decided to transfer the tank as is to my house and brake it down and build it back up. Did close to 70% water change in the moving process.

So this is what the current set up is:
Elos 120 tank, stand, sump
3 Ecotech Radions
Super Reef Octopus XP2000
Sicce 4.0

3 Mp40W
Jager 250w
Neptune Apex with top off
Bubble Magus Doser (Bionic 2part and Mag)

Current FTS

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1fishmonger

I'll agree with it not being 'that' overstocked if at all. Number of fish is one thing but another consideration equally important is the size/species of fish ;)

Nice set up. If you need funds for an LED unit, I could use another Apex :D

WrongGenotype

I guess it just feels overstocked because of the number of fish. I'm used to the 3 fish in my cube.

Not planing on getting rid of the Apex but you never know. I have a reefkeeper on the cube and may sell one or the other when I swap over.

Was hoping to sell the aquaplanet 2 to fund my LED project or atleast get me started.

WrongGenotype
Nice. What LEDs are you thinking of? :D

I built my own on my BC29 and used 24 crees with a 2:1 blue to white ratio on the nanotuners duo700 driver box. So probably something similar, with different drivers of course. Might add in some other colors this time around.

Been hearing good things about the bridgelux LEDs so I might look at those also.

Any suggestions?

WrongGenotype

The Plan

I first need to do a major cleaning top to bottom of the tank including all equipment. I will be removing majority of the livestock. I think the rock has potential but definetly needs some work (will just dry it out and pressure wash unless ayone has a better suggestion). The sand is a little sparse in some areas so I will probably add a little sand to even out the bed( some spots are less than .5"). Need to bump up the clean up crew.

Future plans include upgrading the lighting system to LED system with full diming capabilities, replacing the auto top off, adding live rock and cheato to sump, and setting up the calcium reactor. I am currently running a mixed reef in the BC29 and plan on moving over to this larger system once everything is stabilized.

Its been a busy weekend.

Took the fish down to a LFS to hold for me until I get the tank back up and running.

Picked up 80 pounds of sand some carbon, filter socks, and some muriatic acid.

Emptied the tank and removed all the sand and live rock. Gave the live rock a soak in the acid and pressure washed them off. Looks like new, thanks for the advice

cpt cautious.

Cleaned all the pumps, skimmer, and sump area.

Filled the tank back up with new water and added the new sand. Supper cloudy still.

Just waiting for the rock to dry out then I'll give it a soak in some ro water.

Just need to cycle the tank and I'll be back in business.

Before

IMG_2676.jpg

After

Elos120_04_08_2012.jpg

WrongGenotype
why the tear down and deep cleaning?

Just wanted to make sure I was starting with a clean system.

The tank was overrun with hair algae. Even the turbos had hair algae on them.

Did you get a steal on the tank? wicked setup.If you were local i would be interested in your light but i have been burned one too many times over net lol.Thats a good price on it.

Keep updates coming.........

WrongGenotype
Did you get a steal on the tank? wicked setup.If you were local i would be interested in your light but i have been burned one too many times over net lol.Thats a good price on it.

Keep updates coming.........

Picked up the tank for a good price but by no means was it cheap.

I hear ya on the getting burned deal. I've heard nightmare stories about buying stuff and gifting through paypal. I have it listed all over the place (ebay, amazon, and many other forums) and have had no bites. Guess I just have to wait until one of my local forum guys or gals wants it.

WrongGenotype

Well the acid bath worked like a charm.

I let the rock dry out for couple days drying and then next couple days it soaked in RO water.

Just got done putting them back in the tank. Not sure how the rest of my rock is going to look in the tank but this is a start.

Elos120_04_12_2012.jpg

Figured I'd post a couple pics of my other tank also.

BC29_04_12_2012.jpg

BC29_04_13_2012.jpg

WrongGenotype
Any updates? This is my dream tank I visit here often lol.

not much. just added some rock and cromis. cycling.

WrongGenotype
Your rock will cycle the tank. No need for the chromis the ammonia burns there gills. That was the old way man.

OK thanks for the info. Even if the rock was dead?

Added BioSpira also.

If the rock was dry rock just add 1 small piece of live rock or if you used live sand that will seed the tank no need to harm any fish to cycle a tank.

• 1 month later...
WrongGenotype

Finally got my Radions and the mp40 wetside. Thanks Will @ Sustainable Reefs for getting these for me.

I hung the lights using the Elos hanging Kit and some aluminum c channel. These lights are blowing me away. Took me a day or so to get the lights programmed how I like them but all I can say is wow. These blow my DIY cree system out of the water. Granted it is like triple the price.

Also built a floating screen top for it using some 1/4" clear mesh from BRS and a DIY screen kit from the local big box store. I am pretty happy with it and hopefully it will keep in the jumpers.

The chromis are back in and traded out some of the other livestock for a potter's angel. He seems to be doing well so far and is eating everything including flakes. Also added a couple cleaner shrimp and need to order the rest of my cuc.

Will be selling my calcium reactor and getting bm doser.

Hopefully I will be moving some stuff over from the bc29 this week.

Elos120_5_28_2012small.jpg

Potter.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
WrongGenotype

Moved a couple things over. Potter seems to be well behaved and has not nipped at anything so far. fingerscrossed

Elos120_FTS_6_6_2012.jpg

Elos120_LR_6_6_2012.jpg

Elos120_RR_6_6_2012.jpg

WrongGenotype

Finally got everything moved over. Everything is not in its final place but hopefully tomorrow I can get it figured out. Its crazy to think this was all in a BC29.

IMG_2800.jpg

IMG_2801.jpg

IMG_2803.jpg

Archived