Cultivated Reef

diy overflow help needed

iPhone

i just picked up a 60x18x20 tank and it came undrilled and without any overflows.

im not a fan of hang on the back overflow boxes so i was wondering how i could get a permanent overflow in the tank.

there is a glass brace in the middle thats about 18 inches long so i think i would either have to go with a corner overflow or something similar.

anyone know what i can do?

can i just make one out of acrylic and just silicone it to the back?

0cc5dcbb.jpg

Captain Hook

That will work if you want to DIY and if you dont, you can buy corner overflows. you can still get it drilled for about 30-40$ at most LFS, and hook that up to the corner overflow and your good to go.

That will work if you want to DIY and if you dont, you can buy corner overflows. you can still get it drilled for about 30-40$ at most LFS, and hook that up to the corner overflow and your good to go.

do they sell the overflows that come with the standard aqueon tanks and stuff?

i want one of those but dont really know where to get one or even if they sell them.

www.glass-holes.com

Or if you're cheap you can build your own (similar style) out of acrylic.

I made my overfow for about $5 (clear 1/8" acrylic from HD spray painted black) and it's worked wonderfully (see my 40br thread). I made a box, and used the bulkheads to attach it to the back wall of the tank.

I borrowed hole saws from a local (easy to do since many people buy the hole saws but only use them once or twice).

circusordie16

i found some black glass that i used for my overflow on my 40b. that way the inside of the overflow box is pretty hidden and i dont have to worry about spraypaint on acrylic inside the tank. you can see pictures in my tank thread.

Black glass would be nice... But I couldn't find it...

The good news is that as long as you're not scraping the inside of the overflow box (I painted the inside) then it's turned out to be really durable. It's been a while now and the paint is still looking great.

Even if it did start to chip (which spraypaint has excellent adherance to plastic so it shouldn't) then I can just take it out and re-paint it (due to the design of my overflow box, if you mount it to the glass using silicone then that would be much more difficult).

• 2 weeks later...

C/P from a post I made in another thread.,

You can make one yourself., Its easier then you think., Just go to lowes or homedepot.., and pick up a piece of acrylic., You can cut it with a skill saw or table saw., Just tape the edges to prevent scratching.,. I used a torch to lightly heat mine and bend it over the edge of my bench., worked fine.,. Just dont get it too hot or it will bubble.,,. Practice on a scrap piece first and all will be fine.,, I cut teeth into it with a 1/4 grinding wheel., bingo bango., silicone., your done., Literally took me 30 minutes., and cost what., $17 for a piece of acrylic?

2011-09-18192417.jpg

I went with a modified herbie system., 2, 1" drains., the lower completely submerged and a full siphon., the top just as an emergency but also skims the surface of the box.,. I use a ball valve (I know) to control my main drain and it works perfectly.,

2012-04-15223459.jpg

One note on the overflow., You may want to think about making it big enough to get your hand down in there if you ever need to without having to tear it apart

Paleoreef103

You're going to want to find out if your tank is tempered!

It is easy to build an overflow out of acrylic though. You can bend it or you can use weld-on to glue the acrylic together. Make sure to leak test your overflow.

Archived