ReefCleaners.org

My temporary tank

thecloser

Okay guys so it appears my tank is about to crash any day now and I have decided to get my second tank out and save as many of my fish and corals as I can...

I have about 18 pulsing Xenia that I'd like to transfer out and my GSP...my plan is to start fresh and get a new DT going ... I plan on buying new equipment via upgrade and was wondering what would I need in this temporary tank until I get my new DT ready via cycle.

I plan on transferring the LR that has Xenia on it and only my heater and my PH... is that enough bacteria to keep my temp tank safe from that 1 LR with just 2 fishes or should i put my sponge from the filter in as well.. Reason I ask is because that sponge is about 6 months old not sure if that's too used or not.

My filter seems to have broken as well as the engine seems to have died so I'd need a new one as well.

Why do you think your tank is about to crash?

Sponges that aren't cleaned out daily have no place in. Reef tank. I also second the question above. A crash is called a crash for a reason, it happens instantly because of one or more underlaying factors. Otherwise, people would call it slow- dying - letdowns.

What does the rock weigh, density, is it porous, what type of fish, etc.

What are your parameters. Heavy algae means that somthung is t right.

By sponge I meant the sponges that come in the aqua clear filters not sure if I used the wrong term or not.

I call it a crash because my torch coral was at full life and 40 hours later you see it's skeleton and the last 3weeks my zoa have not opened until they start melting. the funny thing is it occurs within 48-hours shrinking even my mushrooms as if they are dying internally than the outside just melts in hours.

1 water change?? what exactly did you test for? what were the parameters? what kind of water are you using?

unless you find the root of the problem, your temporary tank will end up in the same condition. and remember, there is nothing more permanent than something temporary.

I am not planning on using anything from my old tank except for the one live rock that contains the coral , outside of that everything will be knew including my live sand.

I did three water changes I tested everything you can ask far from nitrates to calcium everything was good except phosphates were slightly high..I had a thread on this and no one found a solution and things are just getting worse

Honestly, if you think a tank is crashing, I'd change a hell of a lot more than 40% WC. Furthermore, what have you changed recently to add nuitrients? Algee blooms happen because there are execess nutrients, not randomly. Did you change water sources? Did you change feeding scheduels?

Honestly, if you think a tank is crashing, I'd change a hell of a lot more than 40% WC. Furthermore, what have you changed recently to add nuitrients? Algee blooms happen because there are execess nutrients, not randomly. Did you change water sources? Did you change feeding scheduels?

This. I do almost 40 percent wc just because.

Do you have a shelf that anything could have fallen off and into the tank? I remember a thread that somebody's tank looked like poop or somthung like that and it ended up that the backing to a tv remote fell in and was leaching all sorts of stuff

So will 7 lb of LR from my tank be good for the temporary tank? And should I put my old sponge in that's 6 months old or is that too old?

C.I._Reefer
So will 7 lb of LR from my tank be good for the temporary tank? And should I put my old sponge in that's 6 months old or is that too old?

Dont you think you should be more concerned about figuring out what you did wrong to cause a crash, so that it doesn't happen in your next tank? Crashes and such dont "just happen" ya know? you are just going to run into the same problems all over again...

Yeah you need to figure out why this happened. What are your water change practices? How do you mix the water, is it RO/DI water? What are your tank params? How long did you keep those corals healthy before they started to die? What's the flow like in the tank? What is your filtration? How often do you change the mechanical filtration? What type are you using? You havn't really provided us with much to help you.

X2 You're just going to crash the next tank too unless you fix the problems. Trust me you need to think your tanks out carefully.

I did a 40% WC and it somehow stimulated this process even more...the water is RO/DI and I add the salt to a 5 gal jug and let it mix and dissolv for 24 hours if not more as I don't use all 5 gallons every WC...

My corals were blossoming finally and I had them for nearly 5-6 months...my torch split to 2 heads as did my shrooms and my zoa were gsrowing all though 3 died due to fungus I believe if not pox. I lost the battle when I tried fighting it with medicine dips.

My flow Is 2 425 PH Nanos. My filtration is a AquaClear 50 that appears to have just died yesterday. I unplugged it to replace this foam/sponge whatever and when I came to plug it in it never turned back on so I think the engine burned out.

My params were perfect except. My phosphates were slightly high.

anthony911us

it may be corals using their survival toxin chemical weapons in the water. do u use any active carbon in the tank?

Okay guys so it appears my tank is about to crash any day now and I have decided to get my second tank out and save as many of my fish and corals as I can...

I have about 18 pulsing Xenia that I'd like to transfer out and my GSP...my plan is to start fresh and get a new DT going ... I plan on buying new equipment via upgrade and was wondering what would I need in this temporary tank until I get my new DT ready via cycle.

I plan on transferring the LR that has Xenia on it and only my heater and my PH... is that enough bacteria to keep my temp tank safe from that 1 LR with just 2 fishes or should i put my sponge from the filter in as well.. Reason I ask is because that sponge is about 6 months old not sure if that's too used or not.

My filter seems to have broken as well as the engine seems to have died so I'd need a new one as well.

My clown has been about half an inch off the sand bed for about the past hour...he's been doing this twice every 4 days now ... Something toxic is definitely in my water that my tests aren't showing.

My clown has been about half an inch off the sand bed for about the past hour...he's been doing this twice every 4 days now ... Something toxic is definitely in my water that my tests aren't showing.

Bad salt mix from the company?

My clown died today and a snail is dead...definite crash I'd say now. I placed several corals in the temp tank and they are fuly open at the moment for once.

Archived