Innovative Marine Aquariums

Flow- 180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Wizzy

I have decided on a 180 gallon mixed reef for my upcoming build.

Would placing 2 Korali Evolution 1400's on either side be enough flow?

1400 x 4 = 5600

5600/180 = 31+ over-turn.... right?

I am mainly worried about dead areas in the center. 72" x 24' x 24" tank.

Thanks- Wizzy :happy:

dallasprstn

hey man, long time no see!

i actually have the same tank as you now! except that my tank is 76" long!

i have two koralia's in the front that blast the aquascape and are 2200 gph, and two koralia's behind the rock that are 1050 gph. After angling them right, i can say that there are almost no dead spots in my tank...and you'd think that'd be overdoing it, but the corals actually really like it.

If i could do it over again though, I would probably replace the 2200 gph powerheads with some that are a bit less powerful. Maybe around 1800 gph.

Hope this helps!

if you have the cash maybe 2 mp40es

Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't have the money for those at the moment. :lol:

hey man, long time no see!

i actually have the same tank as you now! except that my tank is 76" long!

i have two koralia's in the front that blast the aquascape and are 2200 gph, and two koralia's behind the rock that are 1050 gph. After angling them right, i can say that there are almost no dead spots in my tank...and you'd think that'd be overdoing it, but the corals actually really like it.

If i could do it over again though, I would probably replace the 2200 gph powerheads with some that are a bit less powerful. Maybe around 1800 gph.

Hope this helps!

Hey Dallas! :D

Where'd you get a 76" tank lol? What brand is it?

And just to make sure we're on the same page here's a model I made.

The Tank will be a Peninsula tank so I can't place any flow on the main (longer) panes of glass.

All flow will be coming from either end (width of the tank).

The overflow will be on the right side of the tank.

ScreenShot2012-04-05at93040PM.png

I wouldn't use Koralia's in that tank, I woul lean more towards Sicce Voyager it gives a more linear flow and more bang for your buck.

I wouldn't use Koralia's in that tank, I woul lean more towards Sicce Voyager it gives a more linear flow and more bang for your buck.

After a little bit of research on those pumps it seems that they are larger, louder, and more expensive then the Koralis.

However, they do put out more flow.

So, what are the advantages over the Korali Evolution 1400?

And, how much flow do I really need in a 180 gallon mixed reef (I am keeping SPS).

Thanks- Wizzy

dallasprstn
Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't have the money for those at the moment. :lol:

Hey Dallas! :D

Where'd you get a 76" tank lol? What brand is it?

And just to make sure we're on the same page here's a model I made.

The Tank will be a Peninsula tank so I can't place any flow on the main (longer) panes of glass.

All flow will be coming from either end (width of the tank).

The overflow will be on the right side of the tank.

ScreenShot2012-04-05at93040PM.png

kinda weird but it was and old DAS tank I picked up for really cheap, and then I tore out the DAS system and drilled it! I don't have any powerheads on the long panels of the glass in my tank, all of them are on the sides so I think you'll figure it out. the positioning of the powerheads are the main thing you have to figure out with a tank this size, and i'm not gonna lie, it takes a while. my tank is about two months old now and I finally got my powerheads in their final resting place about a week and a half ago. I's say flow wise you have enough water moving through the tank, and it's pretty much a puzzle figuring out how to position where your powerheads need to go. I can upload some pic's of my tanks powerhead position if you'd like. Dallas.

kinda weird but it was and old DAS tank I picked up for really cheap, and then I tore out the DAS system and drilled it! I don't have any powerheads on the long panels of the glass in my tank, all of them are on the sides so I think you'll figure it out. the positioning of the powerheads are the main thing you have to figure out with a tank this size, and i'm not gonna lie, it takes a while. my tank is about two months old now and I finally got my powerheads in their final resting place about a week and a half ago. I's say flow wise you have enough water moving through the tank, and it's pretty much a puzzle figuring out how to position where your powerheads need to go. I can upload some pic's of my tanks powerhead position if you'd like. Dallas.

Thanks Dallas and congrats on the inexpensive find :D

Pictures would be great as well.

Everyone Else- Still wondering if anyone has exact numbers for how much flow I am going to need or if they have any other brands they think would work better for around the same price.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived