Coral Vue Hydros

Tips on fragging for a newbie

phoenix91

I've never fragged or moved any corals before but need to do it soon. I have a mushroom i want to move out of a 3 g and into my 20 g, i also want to move a small piece of pulsing xenia.

So.. how would i go about this?

I assume with the xenia i just slice off a branch and glue? it to a piece of rock? It's pretty tough stuff, this patch came back from the dead.

But what about the mushroom? it already moved off the frag plug it was on so is now attached to a large bit of rock

Captain Hook

Mushrooms just cut them across the base as far down on the base as you can. Glue to a frag. Ive also used fishing line to tie a bow around the coral and the rock and small elastics work just as well. Another idea for soft corals and particularly mushrooms, you can have a pile of rubble rock in a container or separate tank and let the frags attach themselves. SPS and LPS are much easier to frag than softies. Its always a good idea to have an ice pick and wire cutters preferably brand new, to use for clipping rocks and frags.

I have a pile of small pieces of rubble rock i can use to attach frags to. With the mushroom i think i'll just cut it and sit it in a tub with some rubble in the tank. I think i have wire cutter somewhere too.

thanks

Yep best way with mushrooms is to put some rubble in a tupperware or glass container, then put the frags in there with something covering the top like eggcrate and they will attach themselves to a piece of rubble.

I would like to ask something on this subject as well. If you attach a duncan to live rocks with crazy glue gel and epoxy at some point and let's say a couple of months later you need to frag it, you need to remove the whole piece off the rocks, right? Or do you frag it inside the tank?

Yep best way with mushrooms is to put some rubble in a tupperware or glass container, then put the frags in there with something covering the top like eggcrate and they will attach themselves to a piece of rubble.

Thanks. Yep, i'll be doing it later this week.

Just bite them off with your teeth and use bubble gum to stick them down.

lol

I would like to ask something on this subject as well. If you attach a duncan to live rocks with crazy glue gel and epoxy at some point and let's say a couple of months later you need to frag it, you need to remove the whole piece off the rocks, right? Or do you frag it inside the tank?

ideally you want to remove the whole rock before fragging anything. If you can possibly frag inside your tank without causing stress to corals around it, then that's possible too.

I've never fragged or moved any corals before but need to do it soon. I have a mushroom i want to move out of a 3 g and into my 20 g, i also want to move a small piece of pulsing xenia.

So.. how would i go about this?

I assume with the xenia i just slice off a branch and glue? it to a piece of rock? It's pretty tough stuff, this patch came back from the dead.

But what about the mushroom? it already moved off the frag plug it was on so is now attached to a large bit of rock

you will have a hard time just slicing then gluing it down as the mushroom and xenia are both slimy stuff. you are better off having it attach to some rubble first then gluing the rubble to your rock.

I haven't fragged yet...only one zoanthid got the guts to move from it's area and spread. But even so it's not coming into contact with anything else. I could have fragged my GSP off the bulky square frag it came on, but I don't feel like trying to peel that thing off (if anyone lives in the area and wants a go at it, please come by!).

Archived