inTank Media Baskets

I Pet my Octopus Daily

Criley7

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea I want a blue ringed and so does the wife, but I believe their toxin is one on the mist poisonous in the world.

dont put your hand in that tank lol

dont put your hand in that tank lol

Has anyone ever had any luck getting ribbon eels to eat? My LFS has a pair for sale. One of them is gold, and the other is black with gold markings. A picture of the gold one is in my 60g cube thread.

I did some research recently on cephalopods in the aquarium, and I think you should give some serious though to cuttlefish. Sepia bandensis seems to be an active, interesting candidate that can be kept in groups if the aquarium is big enough. Check out this article:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/9/aafeature

The downside to all cephalopods is that their lifespan is fairly short, and if you only have ONE individual, I think it would be fairly painful watching it go through senescence...

I did some research recently on cephalopods in the aquarium, and I think you should give some serious though to cuttlefish. Sepia bandensis seems to be an active, interesting candidate that can be kept in groups if the aquarium is big enough. Check out this article:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/9/aafeature

The downside to all cephalopods is that their lifespan is fairly short, and if you only have ONE individual, I think it would be fairly painful watching it go through senescence...

That could be an option, the only thing Is I'm not upgrading to a bigger tank.

Has anyone ever had any luck getting ribbon eels to eat? My LFS has a pair for sale. One of them is gold, and the other is black with gold markings. A picture of the gold one is in my 60g cube thread.

There was a guy on here with a ribbon eel. He claimed to get it eating, then kind of disappeared from the forum. Here's his thread if you want to see how he set up the tank: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=239885

Ahh delicious. When I was in Kona I ate it every day.

Spicey ahi poki or shoyu poki with wasabi I find awesome :D

I don't care for the addition of rock salt, limu or fish eggs.

Back on octopi, I want one sometime. I'm assuming get a small octopus, have a larger tank with good skimmer, add octopus then feed it seafood?

add colorful non-toxic plastic toys, boredom can be a deadly as stress with octopuses (yes that is the true plural,not octopi)

add colorful non-toxic plastic toys, boredom can be a deadly as stress with octopuses (yes that is the true plural,not octopi)

But "spy" and "octopi" rhyme so well.

Octopuses and Octopi are both acceptable plural terms also acceptable would be octopodes.

Thanks for input about the toys

AquaticEngineer

My octopus is pretty entertaining any time I come out near his tank.

Granted I've had him since he was about 2 months out of the egg, so he's pretty socialized :D

th_VID_20120417_213610.jpg

My octopus is pretty entertaining any time I come out near his tank.

Granted I've had him since he was about 2 months out of the egg, so he's pretty socialized :D

th_VID_20120417_213610.jpg

Awesome. The owner of my LFS has always had an octopus. He trained it to eat from his hands and always has good luck socializing them. I plan to give it the same attention to hopefully keep him entertained and active. Has yours ever inked in the tank? If so did you just do a water change and changed the chemipure?

AquaticEngineer
Awesome. The owner of my LFS has always had an octopus. He trained it to eat from his hands and always has good luck socializing them. I plan to give it the same attention to hopefully keep him entertained and active. Has yours ever inked in the tank? If so did you just do a water change and changed the chemipure?

He inked a few times when he was first introduced to the system, but he was very small, and his tank is plumbed into a 325 gallon system so I didn't worry about it :D

He inked a few times when he was first introduced to the system, but he was very small, and his tank is plumbed into a 325 gallon system so I didn't worry about it :D

O ok. Thanks for the input.

• 1 month later...

Today I finally got my octopus! I don't have any pictures of him yet but I will as soon as he settles in! up hanged my aquascape and made a few caves. I also added a black sand/rubble. Here's my new FTS.

ZkIWH.jpg

Archived