4 replies to this topic

hamiltonra25

hamiltonra25

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • Joined 28 Dec 2009
  • Brew City aka Milwaukee

Went to Lowes. Picked up a 1/4 HorsePower Pump.

Attached PVC to the pump with multiple elbows with a downward angle.

Filled the drum with RODI water from my brand new Typhoon RODI system.

The pump got the water pretty warm, warm enough that i didnt burn myself when touching the water, but also warm enough to probably shower in.

There appeared to be some slime/residue on the side of the walls, and i could actually see that the water had evaporate a 1/2'' due to the heat.

The container was brand new from a container company, its a HDPE #2 15 gallon translucent drum.

Will this be safe to use moving forward? Should i be concerned about the pumps heat leaching the plastic?

phineous

phineous

FireStarter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • Joined 27 Feb 2012
  • Ithaca, NY
There's a lot of stuff that can leach out of plastic, but plastic is everywhere, and all of our tank hardware is made from it. Most creatures don't seem to have a problem with small amounts.

If you didn't clean the bucket with soap, the slime was probably a silicone based mold release agent applied in manufacturing. I think it's pretty safe, probably safer than a scrubbed out bucket. but I'm no expert. I just rinse and wipe down my buckets.

If you are breeding creatures, here's a biologist that had some problems with a trash can used for water:
http://forum.marined...opic101230.aspx

PtC1xCZr65.jpg

Formula462

Formula462

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 3,431 posts
  • Joined 20 Apr 2009
  • Texas

If you are breeding creatures, here's a biologist that had some problems with a trash can used for water:
http://forum.marined...opic101230.aspx

That post was weird. That dude was pretty upset he couldn't sell as much sperm.

Grumblecakes

Grumblecakes

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • Joined 11 Oct 2011
  • SW Montana
maybe just dump the water and pressure wash it/spray it out really good then wipe it down

Deckoz2302

Deckoz2302

Stony Reefer

• Members
  • 6,087 posts
  • Joined 29 Aug 2011
  • Raleigh, North Carolina
Wipe it down with vodka ;)

OceanariumProject_zpsdcf024fc.jpg