inTank Media Baskets

treating marine itch

czdiver

I brought home a pair of Ocellaris clowns a couple weeks ago. They've been doing fine.......acting normal, eating well, but I've recently noticed that the black and white seems to have white specks all over her. I'm guessing it's marine itch. Doesn't look like the orange and white does, or my other two fish, either. I searched the site and it says to put it in a fresh water bath but the water needs to be the same temp. and PH. I can raise the temp. to match but the PH is way off. How do I raise the PH of my RO water to match the PH of my tank? Or, does anybody have any suggestions on how to get rid of marine itch another way?

altolamprologus

To answer your question, baking soda works well to raise pH in RO water. However, freshwater dips will do absolutely nothing to treat ich. You need to set up a quarantine and put all of your fish in it and either treat with medicine or hyposalinity. Leave your display tank fallow for 8 weeks while the fish are being treated. Any other course of action and the ich will never go away.

altolamprologus
At the risk of sounding stupid, that does fallow mean?

It means leave the tank fish-less

Archived