SaltCritters.com

Do you think my filtration isn't enough?

chabooky386

chabooky386

So basically from the picture you can see my tank. And the only filtration I have running on it is a Aqueon 55/75 system. No skimmer, no refugium, no wet/dry & etc... The only other thing I have in my tank is a heater. But, I keep up with my water changes and maintenance on my tank. So far I have only ran into a small GHA problem and that is about it. I feel like I might be lacking some filtration but, I see a lot of other people with similar setups that do fine. Am I worrying too much or should I look into something better as far as filtration? Any recommendations? Aquaclear 110 with fuge? Fluval G3? HELP!!! :o :o :o

post-71617-1333409345_thumb.jpg

altolamprologus

You're worrying too much. My anglerfish tank doesn't have any filtration whatsoever and the water is clean enough for NPS coral. If you want, an AC110 with chaeto would help draw nutrients out of the water and relieve the burden of water changes. What are your nitrate and phosphate levels. Those will ultimately determine if you need better filtration.

I had a GHA problem in my biocube a short while. I started using chemi pure and started water changes with RO/DI water. I also pulled out the bioballs. Now I only have my 25 pounds of live rock and live sand. If your water changes are able to keep Nitrates and Phosphates down I would think you are ok.

chabooky386
You're worrying too much. My anglerfish tank doesn't have any filtration whatsoever and the water is clean enough for NPS coral. If you want, an AC110 with chaeto would help draw nutrients out of the water and relieve the burden of water changes. What are your nitrate and phosphate levels. Those will ultimately determine if you need better filtration.

They are constantly low. 0 ppm across the board all the time. I do water changes as frequent as I can.

I had a GHA problem in my biocube a short while. I started using chemi pure and started water changes with RO/DI water. I also pulled out the bioballs. Now I only have my 25 pounds of live rock and live sand. If your water changes are able to keep Nitrates and Phosphates down I would think you are ok.

Yeah I figured so. But, I want to make sure my corals can grow big and healthy. I don't want to cut corners.

altolamprologus
They are constantly low. 0 ppm across the board all the time. I do water changes as frequent as I can.

Then the only benefit of adding chaeto would be so that you wouldn't have to do as many water changes or so you could add another fish. Water changes are always better than equipment IMO so if it's working, keep doing what you're doing

chabooky386
Then the only benefit of adding chaeto would be so that you wouldn't have to do as many water changes or so you could add another fish. Water changes are always better than equipment IMO so if it's working, keep doing what you're doing

Protein skimmer? Anything I would need to add?

altolamprologus
Protein skimmer? Anything I would need to add?

I'm not a big fan of skimmers. If anything, add some chaeto. But chaeto dies if it doesn't get enough nutrients so you may run into that problem

chabooky386
I'm not a big fan of skimmers. If anything, add some chaeto. But chaeto dies if it doesn't get enough nutrients so you may run into that problem

Looking at my setup so far what skimmer would you recommend? I don't have a lot of options due to the fact I don't have a sump or anything. But, what would you put on your 20 gallon?

chabooky386

Ooops read your comment wrong. :lol:

Archived