inTank Media Baskets

Small shallow tank construction help

Zer0

I've just been playing around with some ideas in my head, and I want to do something small and freshwater. It's called Wabi-Kusa for anyone that is interested.

For any of the tank builders, I have a question on how a shallow tank will hold up against the weight of the water.

Here are the dimensions; 16" long, 10" wide, 4" tall. As you can see, it is extremely shallow, and will only be filled with water 2-2.5" deep.

My question is, will 3/32" glass hold up to the weight of about 1.3 gallons of water? I could also put small triangles on the corners if that would help.. I know 3/32" is pretty thin, but it's the only glass thickness that is readily available in sheets at Home Depot.

I could make the tank 12" long instead of 16" long if that would make the difference between holding up to the test of time, or spilling water all over my floor.

Thanks!

It might bow a little, but not much. Try calling around for a local glass shop. 1/8" would be bulletproof.

It might bow a little, but not much. Try calling around for a local glass shop. 1/8" would be bulletproof.

I'm really not going to spend more then 6$ on glass, and I've had to call plenty of local glass shops about 2 months ago when I was planning on building my own aquarium and the prices they were quoting me for 1/4" thick standard plate glass was ####ing outrageous. If I can't do it with this glass.. I won't do it at all lol.

You should be able to get 1/8" at home depot right?

I would have a glass shop do it if you can it's worth the extra $20 or so.

It ain't as easy as it looks.

Make sure you swipe the edges cause they's gonna be sharp.

? My little 3 gallon tank cost 16$.

Good for you bro, glass doesn't come cheap here for some reason.

You should be able to get 1/8" at home depot right?

I would have a glass shop do it if you can it's worth the extra $20 or so.

It ain't as easy as it looks.

Make sure you swipe the edges cause they's gonna be sharp.

Thanks dude, but like I said before, every single glass shop in my area charges me for an 8'x8' sheet of glass, and laughed at me when I asked about any leftover scrap glass they had even when I said I would pay for it.

Home depot didn't have 1/8" glass, or anything larger then 3/32" available for purchase unfortunately. But yeah, the edges are pretty sharp. Already made some cuts previously for a lid for my 25G tank. Nothing to be worried about though as long as you don't rub the edges haha.

So no one has any definitive answers? Should I just cut out the pieces and try it and see what happens during the leak test phase?

Archived