Cultivated Reef

Too much live rock?

caseeker

Now my tank finally getting some diatoms! hurray!!

and I was wondering if I had put too much rocks in the tanks, I've read that the biggest problem would be blocking water circulation and I use only innovative marine's spin stream for water flow, I have extra power head but planning to use them for mixing waters for WC.

Also my plan for living stock would be one fire shrimp, one red spotted sand perch (Really want this!), and one percular clown maybe.

Tank is 8 gallon, I ordered 10 lbs of LR and sand, but I'm not exactly sure how much they actually weigh.

Here are the pictures from each sides, please let me know what you think :D

post-73249-1333354422_thumb.jpg

post-73249-1333354572_thumb.jpg

post-73249-1333354584_thumb.jpg

I don't think you have added too much rock at all. Your reefscape looks very nice with and an open structure type of rock and good aquascaping. However water flow is important and you need to ensure water flow is reaching all parts of the tank depending on what if any corals you intend to keep, some needing much more than others.

Looking forward to seeing the progression on you cube. Very nice rocks! I say that you have enough now, but as you add other corals and anemones that require space from other inhabitants, you will most likely want to add some more smaller rocks to the sand bed.

Looking forward to seeing the progression on you cube. Very nice rocks! I say that you have enough now, but as you add other corals and anemones that require space from other inhabitants, you will most likely want to add some more smaller rocks to the sand bed.

I'm trying not to cover more sand because sand perch probably wants more area over sand right? :P

You want a Percular Clown? What Peculiar Clown do you want? :D That's a joke.

I have an 8 gallon with a ton more live rock than you. Just be smart on coral placement in the near future to make sure flow requirements are met. Even if I have an area of dead flow, my CUC usually has that place covered.

I'm trying not to cover more sand because sand perch probably wants more area over sand right? :P

You got me on the sand perch question. You might have to research on the amount of sand space it requires. We catch sand perch where I live, and use them for grouper bait. I just googled sand perch and the ones for bait are entirely different than the aquarium species.

You got me on the sand perch question. You might have to research on the amount of sand space it requires. We catch sand perch where I live, and use them for grouper bait. I just googled sand perch and the ones for bait are entirely different than the aquarium species.

this one is what I'm trying to get, but I couldn't really find much info yet :P need more research

justclownin'

We have the 8g Nuvo as well. We found we bought too much rock, because when we added corals, many were attached to their rocks and we got the rock too! Ended up removing some older rock just to ensure enough room! We have just started the 38g as well, and we are only buying half as much as we think we need!

post-73385-1333417907_thumb.jpg

Archived