ReefCleaners.org

Royal Nature salt (evaporated natural sea water)

Pipposanta

Hi,

yesterday I ordered the Royal Nature salt. It claims to be obtained by evaporating sea water, so it should be the closest "imitation" of NSW. I bought it, since, from what I read, it's the only salt that contains 0.06ppm (like in NSW) of iodide which I think is important for many soft corals. I will report positive/negative impressions when I will receive it and after some time of use I will tell you if something is changed in my tank!

Gimmicky. It may be a fine salt, but from the perspective of your aquarium inhabitants there really is no benefit to using ingredients from evaporated NSW sources vs. mined sources. Doubly funny that a "green" twist is put on it considering it comes all the way from Israel = lots of fuel to get to the US. There are perfectly fine reef grade NaCl sources here in Kansas and the SF Bay area, among others.

You can get iodide to NSW levels very easily with supplementation, it is generally very volatile in reef aquariums. If you want to keep it at NSW concentration then water changes will not do it on their own.

How much did it cost and for what size?

Thanks for the response. I think you are right. I will open another thread asking for suggestions on maintaining NSW values with the salt I am currently using.

C.I._Reefer
Gimmicky. It may be a fine salt, but from the perspective of your aquarium inhabitants there really is no benefit to using ingredients from evaporated NSW sources vs. mined sources. Doubly funny that a "green" twist is put on it considering it comes all the way from Israel = lots of fuel to get to the US. There are perfectly fine reef grade NaCl sources here in Kansas and the SF Bay area, among others.

You can get iodide to NSW levels very easily with supplementation, it is generally very volatile in reef aquariums. If you want to keep it at NSW concentration then water changes will not do it on their own.

How much did it cost and for what size?

+1 to all of the above, very well said! Additionally, I wonder what kinda contaminants exist in this crap, I mean, the ocean isn't exactly pure.

Royal Nature Salt... Now with 100% more BP crude oil. Know what i mean? This stuff seems to be just all the crap left behind after you evap the h20. I wouldn't use it

+1 to all of the above, very well said! Additionally, I wonder what kinda contaminants exist in this crap, I mean, the ocean isn't exactly pure.

Royal Nature Salt... Now with 100% more BP crude oil. Know what i mean? This stuff seems to be just all the crap left behind after you evap the h20. I wouldn't use it

Just to be clear, I am not saying it's a bad salt or has more contaminants in it than any other salt. Never used the stuff. I just disagree with the marketing spin that there is any real benefit to using NSW as a source.

For my money, IO is perfectly suitable for growing corals. It may need a bit of Ca/Alk supplementation, but we're doing that anyway.

Hi,

yesterday I ordered the Royal Nature salt. It claims to be obtained by evaporating sea water, so it should be the closest "imitation" of NSW. I bought it, since, from what I read, it's the only salt that contains 0.06ppm (like in NSW) of iodide which I think is important for many soft corals. I will report positive/negative impressions when I will receive it and after some time of use I will tell you if something is changed in my tank!

Red Sea uses salt from evaporated saltwater and they add additional elements.

http://www.redseafish.com/index.aspx?id=4163

C.I._Reefer

OP why are you so worried about iodide concentrations anyway? This is something that can be very easily and cheaply controlled. Iodide would be one of the elements that would be near the least of my worries, comparatively.

Well, iodide is consumed very quickly in a tank with even only one xenia. IMHO it's far more simple reintegrate it using a water change than dosing.

OP why are you so worried about iodide concentrations anyway? This is something that can be very easily and cheaply controlled. Iodide would be one of the elements that would be near the least of my worries, comparatively.

Agreed. Just add some KI a couple times a week if you're worried about it. The salt mix you start with is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to iodide concentration.

Agreed. Just add some KI a couple times a week if you're worried about it. The salt mix you start with is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to iodide concentration.

What is KI? :mellow:

C.I._Reefer
Well, iodide is consumed very quickly in a tank with even only one xenia. IMHO it's far more simple reintegrate it using a water change than dosing.

you are right, I just think would will never be able to maintain nsw iodide concentrations via WCs unless you do water changes daily. I dose 20 drops of iodide as part of my daily dosing regimen, i cant maintain the values without doing so. And i do weekly water changes with RC(25%)

you are right, I just think would will never be able to maintain nsw iodide concentrations via WCs unless you do water changes daily. I dose 20 drops of iodide as part of my daily dosing regimen, i cant maintain the values without doing so. And i do weekly water changes with RC(25%)

Which iodide integrator do you use?

It simply tends to vanish in reef aquariums, and that's the problem with relying on WCs to keep it high. Simple arithmetic will demonstrate you would need very large and frequent water changes to keep it where it should be.

What is KI? :mellow:

Potassium iodide. It is the best way to add iodide to a reef aquarium IME.

It simply tends to vanish in reef aquariums, and that's the problem with relying on WCs to keep it high. Simple arithmetic will demonstrate you would need very large and frequent water changes to keep it where it should be.

I actually have Xaqua iodine and fluorine. the recommended dosage is 5 ml every 100lt, 1-2 times a week. I still need to buy a iodine test so I still haven't used it.

Potassium iodide. It is the best way to add iodide to a reef aquarium IME.

ah ok! I thought it was Kent Iodide!!! :lol:

• 1 year later...

I use Royal Nature Sea Salt and have a bunh of Xenia growing.Neverhad a problem with it. I never tried it on the White Pop Pom Xenia but the standard xenia is great. Royal Nature salt seems to desolve really good.

Archived