Pod Your Reef

What is this on my Hammer Coral?

SaltyDoberman

SaltyDoberman

Hello,

I bought this Hammer Coral yesterday and I would like to know if this 'thing' residing in one of the stalks is normal. I got it on video, it is not shy.

Also, this popped up on my glass a few days ago. Is it an aiptasia?

photo114.jpg

SaltyDoberman

It almost reminds me of a shrimp with its movements, it kind of sways back and forth when it retracts. I got a response on youtube that said it is how the coral finds things to eat in the water. I have never seen the sweeper tentacles but I had a totally different idea fashioned in my head about what they looked like and where they were located. No other stalk has this on it either.

That other thing growing on your hammer is not part of the coral. It is some sort of filter feeder inhabitant that started growing on the hammer's stalk. Barnacle family?

acropora1981

The critter on/in the hammer coral is a type of barnacle, IMO. Cirripedia. They are a highly modified type of crustacean.

SaltyDoberman

Oh wow, is it harmful where it is? Will I be able to find much discussion about the barnacle dude? It kind of creeps me out, ha.

acropora1981
Oh wow, is it harmful where it is? Will I be able to find much discussion about the barnacle dude? It kind of creeps me out, ha.

Its not likely to do much harm, they don't tend to reproduce very well in close aquaria due to filter feeding nature. I've never heard of anyone having an issue with them. Easy enough to kill it if you're worried; superglue in the hole. Done.

I would leave it though, neat looking.

SaltyDoberman

Noted! He is a tad creepy....but interesting nonetheless, if he's friendly then I don't mind his free rent at all. I don't think I could bring myself to seal his fate with a super glue grave!

I would stay away from YouTube answers. It's just like yahoo answers, everybody is an "expert" for 15 years, but are actually only 12 years old. You'd get 25 110 percent correct answers that all contradict each other.

I have one of these on my frogspawn coral as well. It doesn't seem to affect the coral or it's surroundings so I'm keeping the critter!

Archived