Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Can Help PLease, Sand or Rock?

dempsy12

I got this clam today and the LFS guy told me that it would do best in a shaded area of the tank, is that true?

also it was labled fire clam, has anyone had one before?

should i put it in the sandbed or rock?

post-72782-1333153541_thumb.jpg

It's looks like a Flame scallop to me. Requires tons of food like Phyto.

To answer the question sand or rock, scallops can move themselves and do prefer a shaded area.

altolamprologus

Flame scallops prefer a shaded area in a crevice of live rock in high flow. Very few have been able to keep them alive longer than a couple months. They need MASSIVE amounts of live phytoplankton to stay alive, which you will most likely not be able to provide. Please be smart and do research before you buy living creatures. If you intend on keeping it, you should buy a lot of live phyto (dead preserved phyto will not be eaten) and dedicate your self to setting up a drip feeder or adding phyto at least 10 times a day.

edit: depending on the size of your tank and your filtration, a $30 bottle of DT's live phytoplankton should last you a few weeks, less if you run a skimmer

Well altolamprologus sometimes the problem is not the people read what he said THE GUY FROM HIS LFS =) and yes it is a scallop if you can you better return it and get a real clam they are more pretty =) and easier

altolamprologus
Well altolamprologus sometimes the problem is not the people read what he said THE GUY FROM HIS LFS =) and yes it is a scallop if you can you better return it and get a real clam they are more pretty =) and easier

IMO it doesn't matter what the guy at the LFS says, the smart thing to do is research first. Many LFS will take advantage of ignorant customers (or they simply don't know the care requirements of the specimen in question)

FWIW flame scallops are file clams

and clownfish are fishes right? I mean when a person is talking about a clam what do you expect ?

You can research but when you dont know the guy from the LFS can sell you whatever he wants that's my point In this case he thinks thats the clam he wanted but is a scallop not the clam.

Dempsy,

I bought one (yes, it's a flame scallop) in a misguided moment -- I loved the contrast of the white shell and bright red scallop. It lived less than a month.

It was very difficult in my 34G Reef; it kept disappearing among the live-rock. Very difficult to spot-feed. I finally found him and dripped a bunch of Phyto-Feast Live near him; did that for a couple of days, having heard they need lots of food. Next day I had an empty shell.....

Just my experience. Hope you have better luck!

GBose

altolamprologus
how unfortunate :(

i wish they would quit harvesting those.

Yeah seriously. It's one of those things that 99% of people shouldn't even think about buying

your right everyone i should have come home to do the research. while at the store i did a quick search on my phone for "flame clam" as it was labled and could not find anything so i took the advice of the LFS guy who told me it would be fine in my tank filter feeding. I feel horrible that i bought him and will try to return him tomorrow. thank you for all the advice and stories

I read that if you keep one alive for 6 months (any sized tank) you're ahead of the game. Their life span is only about 3 years anyway and who knows how old they already were when harvested. Pretty though. I liked the color so read up some. Won't be buying one. I'll have to find something else that color.

Archived