Innovative Marine Aquariums

Vicki's 20G

phoenix91

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
post-69752-1334442051_thumb.jpg

What a pretty horse! So athletic and glossy. When I was about 6, I saw a 1965 candy-apple red convertible mustang (the car, of course) as I was walking to school. I thought it was the sexiest thing I'd ever seen -- long before I had any idea what "sexy" meant! I rushed to school and went to the library to look up "mustang" -- at first, I was disappointed b/c it was a such a small, scrubby-looking horse. Then, I read that it stood for strength, endurance, and freedom. When I got home that afternoon -- and my mother made crystal clear that there would be no mustang under the christmas tree, not ever!! -- I tied rope onto the handlebars of my teal banana-seat bike and "rode" my "mustang" all over the neighborhood. Eventually, I bought the car (neither red or convertible) -- and will always have a sweet spot for the actual horse!

The clowns stringy poop cleared up nicely and as far as i can tell using the prazi pro didn't affect anything else in the tank.

Yeah! New tank looks great. It will be fun to watch you fill it up over the next several months!

What a pretty horse! So athletic and glossy. When I was about 6, I saw a 1965 candy-apple red convertible mustang (the car, of course) as I was walking to school. I thought it was the sexiest thing I'd ever seen -- long before I had any idea what "sexy" meant! I rushed to school and went to the library to look up "mustang" -- at first, I was disappointed b/c it was a such a small, scrubby-looking horse. Then, I read that it stood for strength, endurance, and freedom. When I got home that afternoon -- and my mother made crystal clear that there would be no mustang under the christmas tree, not ever!! -- I tied rope onto the handlebars of my teal banana-seat bike and "rode" my "mustang" all over the neighborhood. Eventually, I bought the car (neither red or convertible) -- and will always have a sweet spot for the actual horse!

Yeah! New tank looks great. It will be fun to watch you fill it up over the next several months!

Aww, i want a bike mustang i can ride! Sounds like fun and yes the car is incredibly sexy. Yes, small scrubby horse is the general view of them but i've known quite a few mustangs who were anything but scrubby, usually they're very good sturdy horses, i got a dud. My boy has something wrong with his hips which causes him pain, he has to see a chiropractor every so often and he can't canter very well at all. He's 2nd generation wild and i think he inherited every tiny bit of wild his mother had in her; he bucks like you wouldn't believe and is turning out to be a rubbish trail horse. He's pretty though and he's been my bud for 6 years so i'm sticking with him, he doesn't do a whole lot mostly because every time i take him anywhere he tries to kill me. My friends at the barn are terrified of him because last time we were out he bucked and reared going up a hill, so my trail friends are a bit wary of him now.

Thanks! I'll be headed to the lfs in the next few weeks to see what they have, i want that big rock to be a zoa mountain and i might see if i can get some different colour mushrooms too. Maybe a shrimp or 2 too, i'd love some sexies.

Ooh, I want sexies, too! Can't until I get rid of the gold coral banded shrimp -- he'd eat them straight out. But should I make good on my threat to return his cantankerous self, then I want peppermints and sexies. I've got lots of rics for them to play on!

phoenix91
Great DIY work. Great Tank and Lovely Horse

Thank you!

Ooh, I want sexies, too! Can't until I get rid of the gold coral banded shrimp -- he'd eat them straight out. But should I make good on my threat to return his cantankerous self, then I want peppermints and sexies. I've got lots of rics for them to play on!

They're so cute. My lfs had a tank full when i was there tank shopping and then when i went back they were all gone, too sexy to resist!

I just placed an order with saltcritters, i've read mixed reviews but since they're in the state next door i figured i'd give them a shot. The weather is nice for the next few days so temp shouldn't be an issue. I ordered an acan frag, a war coral frag, some montipora cap and a variety of hermit shells for my two crabs (they keep switching shells so they need new ones to move into.)

I was going to order some rics but figured i'd keep the order small and get cheaper items at first. If they're good i'll order more stuff in the future.

They're so cute. My lfs had a tank full when i was there tank shopping and then when i went back they were all gone.

LFS was out of sexies, too. Just as well since I haven't returned the GCB and it's beginning to grow on me some. Weird -- much as I love having fish that move, I am way more interested in inverts than I thought I'd be :huh:!

phoenix91
LFS was out of sexies, too. Just as well since I haven't returned the GCB and it's beginning to grow on me some. Weird -- much as I love having fish that move, I am way more interested in inverts than I thought I'd be :huh:!

I'm going to try and go next week and trade my kenya tree for a shrimp, or money towards a shrimp. If they have sexies i might get a few, if not i'll get something else. I bet your GCB's antics are endearing in a certain way.

New corals!!!

They arrived today and are now sitting in the sort of sand bed getting used to everything. The acan puffed up and even put out feeders just after lights out, the war corals looks pretty good but i'm not sure about the monti cap, maybe it's just pissed. It was a nice bright red when i opened the box but now it's slightly faded. Hoping it just needs a few days to get over being moved, i ight try it a bit higher up after a few days.

All 3 happy corals!

post-69752-1336181461_thumb.jpg

Acan

post-69752-1336181484_thumb.jpg

I see all of my photos looking incredibly blue from now on, although the colour isn't so blue in actual life. The corals are way more red than they look in the pictures.

phoenix91

Managed to hold up a light and get a better true to life colour pic of my new additions.

the monti cap was bright red but went really faded when i added it, it's got polyps out though so i think it'll be alright in time. The war coral is bright red with green and the acan is blues and reds.

post-69752-1336332004_thumb.jpg

couldn't get a good pic of the acan, maybe when it gets bigger.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to report really, picked up a frag of pink devils hand from a local reefer. It's shedding right now and needs to be reattached to a bit of rock or something, i'll do it tonight.

New acan is happy, all puffed up and fat. Fed the tank this morning and it gobbled up some baby brine.

post-69752-1337180527_thumb.jpg

The monti cap (which is supposed to be red) is pinking up nicely. I think shipping stress might have contributed to it's loss of colour, but it's polyps are out and it's surface it regaining colour. I'm hopeful.

post-69752-1337180613_thumb.jpg

Trying to sell my kenya tree so i can get a shrimp, probably a cleaner. I also need to bump up my cuc at some point.

i think it is a favite. It's a very dark red with green mouths, so far it's in the bottom of my tank on the sand and i'll probably try and move it higher so it can get more light.

I attached the frag of pink devils hand, it is super PO but my green devils hand too ages before it mellowed out so i'm not worried.

Coming soon macros, macros and more macros. Plus more cuc.

Coming soon macros, macros and more macros. Plus more cuc.

Macros are my new thing, too! I've gotten totally inspired by Gena's tank. I don't have that much room in the BC 14, but my big tank at home is destined to go saltwater, and then, I'm planning on mostly macros, cuc, and a couple of groups of schooling fish, probably firefish and blue chromis. The tank is hex (sort of), 36" across the back, 22" up front, 12" across and 19" deep. I have no idea how many gallons, but I think close to 35. Since I'm not home as much, it needs to be a bit more self-sustaining, so I'm thinking macros and tough schoolers will be the way to go.

Sounds nice, can't wait to see pics when you get it converted; yeah, i was a bit inspired by Gena's macro tank too, that thing is lovely. I'd love to have some schooling fish but alas my tank is not big enough. Maybe one day.

I'm not sure i really have room for macros but i thought i could get some of the nutrients under control if i added them, plus an extra splash of colour would be nice and maybe give my fish somewhere to hide and play. Plus, i'm going on vacation in about 3 weeks and my dad is going to look after the tank for 4 days, i thought macros might lessen any impact he will have on it if he feeds too much or whatever.

New pics:

post-69752-1337636852_thumb.jpg

post-69752-1337636870_thumb.jpg

Bingley, I really like this fish, he's funny, swims around a lot and is best friends with Lizzy. He's not aggressive at all and is keeping the flat worms in check.

post-69752-1337636907_thumb.jpg

Darcy.

post-69752-1337636960_thumb.jpg

Lizzy.

post-69752-1337636986_thumb.jpg

I need a better camera.

In other news, the red monti cap which bleached out slightly in transit is getting it's colour back nicely, it's a nice pink colour right now with red polyps.

I picked up a pink devils hand frag from a local reefer and sadly it looks like it won't make it. A rogue hermit was messing with it the other day and i found him carrying it around like a prize, stupid git. So the finger he had is all ripped and the whole frag has mostly lost it's colour. I'm sad because the mother colony was lovely, so bright and pretty. I've asked the guy to frag me another piece and maybe grow it out a bit in his tank before i pick it up. I'll have to keep the inverts away from it next time.

I am also on the look out for pink birdsnest, i feel the need to try some sps.

Bingley looks like a damsel or is he a kind of angel fish? Very pretty, and so nice that they get along well!

Tanks looks great -- too bad on the pink birds nest! I have steered away from sps, though the lfs has chunks of stuff in lovely pinks and coral-oranges that would be awesome in my purple-ish tank :lol:.

Yup, he's a blue damsel. It's odd, i've seen him swimming very close to the frogspawn recently, do damsels host like clowns do? i hope so, although he doesn't appear to be getting stung by it. Odd fish.

The pink devils hand is what didn't make it. It's still in coral prison but i fear it is not going to recover. The guy i got it from has offered to replace it by fragging his mother colony again, he did have some birdsnest frags available too so i might see if he would consider letting me have on of those instead. For some reason i want less movement in the tank. I'm taking the kenya tree, yellow palys and possibly the rock with blue mushrooms and xenia on to the lfs for store credit when i get around to it. Considering taking in the green palys i have too but that would mean parting with a very nice red feather duster. I'm going to frag one blue mushroom (the first one i got) and keep it around for sentimental reasons.

Pinks and oranges would look awesome in your tank. Right now i'm trying to add more colour, the marcos should help with this, but i think i've got mostly rock colours going on right now and i'd like a few pops of colour here and there.

post-69752-1337725510_thumb.jpg

YAY macros! And about 1 million RC snails :)

post-69752-1337808587_thumb.jpg

I checked the water parameters yesterday and was surprised to see 0 nitrates and Ca nice and high, everything else (i didn't test for mag as i don't have test kit) is in range.

Time to trade in some of my corals and get a few beginner sps, my water's definitely clean enough for them.

I got some halimeda, Red Gracilaria, a pencil cap and i've got an order of red grape coming from keydiver. I really like the look of the pencil cap and hope it survives and grows nicely.

Builder Anthony

I rememeber this tank when you were shifting things around.So i guess you got things taken care of.Well good to see things are working out.

Sold/traded some softies today and got a lovely pink birdsnest. Acclimated and dipped it's looking nice and healthy. I hope i can keep it looking so nice.

post-69752-1338059461_thumb.jpg

post-69752-1338059628_thumb.jpg

post-69752-1338059657_thumb.jpg

post-69752-1338059686_thumb.jpg

post-69752-1338059713_thumb.jpg

^^ i like how the corner looks without that rock in, it took up too much space and didn't really offer a lot to the overall look of the tank, maybe now i have sand space i can get a nice lps to sit there. Also, my RC snails were so numerous a lot of them are still visible.

Not sure about this poor monti cap i got maybe a week or so ago

post-69752-1338059842_thumb.jpg

It didn't like shipping at all and almost completely bleached. Polyps are still out on most of it but there has definitely been some die off. I'm trying to leave it alone as much as possible and just hope it recovers.

i sold the cracked biocube to a local reefer who said he would break it down for parts, bit of a shame really but i'm glad it's going to be used.

Side view looks really cool. If I were to upgrade the office tank, I think I'd go for a 20 gal long like yours. Really nice look.

Archived